Notices

Port of questoin?

Old 05-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Port of questoin?

I see alot of boats with port of there town under there name of there boat is there any boating etiquette size or live on the water have toos. Or is it up for anyone?
Old 05-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Check out the US Coast Guard's website for "Vessel Documentation".
Old 05-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The boats that you are referring to are Federally Registered with the USCG; rather than State Registered.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm should answer any questions.

You do not have to put "Port of" on your boat/federal documentation.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be wrong, but I think his question does not really have to do with documentation, but more about do you put the name of the town you live in vs the town that you boat out of underneath the boats name. In MI the majority of people with cruiser boats regardless if they are documented put their hometown under the boat name, regardless if it is near the water. It is very common to see towns like Bloomfield Hills or Warren under the name of a boat even those those towns are miles from the lake. Ian and sort of laugh because tradition is that your port of call is what should be on the boat, but as far as MI goes I don't think a lot of boaters know that tradition Since our port of call is differnt weekly we opted to leave it off the boat.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:32 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
I could be wrong, but I think his question does not really have to do with documentation, but more about do you put the name of the town you live in vs the town that you boat out of underneath the boats name. In MI the majority of people with cruiser boats regardless if they are documented put their hometown under the boat name, regardless if it is near the water. It is very common to see towns like Bloomfield Hills or Warren under the name of a boat even those those towns are miles from the lake. Ian and sort of laugh because tradition is that your port of call is what should be on the boat, but as far as MI goes I don't think a lot of boaters know that tradition Since our port of call is differnt weekly we opted to leave it off the boat.
actually, 'port of call' is actually a port at which a ship collects supplies.... not it's home port.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:35 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your vessel is documented it must have the name in letters at least 8" high that are in contrast to the hull color so they are ledgible. The home port (regardless of where it is) must be in letters at least 4" high.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
I could be wrong, but I think his question does not really have to do with documentation, but more about do you put the name of the town you live in vs the town that you boat out of underneath the boats name. In MI the majority of people with cruiser boats regardless if they are documented put their hometown under the boat name, regardless if it is near the water. It is very common to see towns like Bloomfield Hills or Warren under the name of a boat even those those towns are miles from the lake. Ian and sort of laugh because tradition is that your port of call is what should be on the boat, but as far as MI goes I don't think a lot of boaters know that tradition Since our port of call is different weekly we opted to leave it off the boat.
I'm getting ready to name my boat "Outta line" and my buddy's Check Mate has Port of Osage Beach on it under his name. I was wanting to do it just for conversation starter to meet new people that might live near by or on the docks, partycove or poker runs ect. Just wanted to check on the dos and dont's. So it looks like anyone can do it.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:07 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

It's a federal law for documented boats. Basically, any vessel with a financed amount over $100,000 is required by 99% of lenders to be doc'd
Old 05-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Registered

My documentation says name should be 4" tall and the home port is 2" tall.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:42 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Originally Posted by apppedigree
My documentation says name should be 4" tall and the home port is 2" tall.
Is that a new doc? I haven't doc'd a boat in about 2 years, but it used to be larger. What kind of boat do you have? Your info says 27 Ftn and 32 Skater. The Fountain doesn't meet doc reuirements and I don't think the 32 Skater does either. It has to do with length AND tonnage

Quick Reply: Port of questoin?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.