Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/186835-oso-bobthebuilder-go-key-west-cancun-key-west-record-jennifur.html)

Bobthebuilder 12-10-2009 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by bluellama (Post 3003736)
Bob, don't want to hijack your thread too far, but the wait is several months in Ontario, not everywhere in Canada..... Here in Ottawa we can drive over to Hull Quebec and have an MRI done in less than a week for $750...

No prob, Steve. That would be an option all right for those in eastern ON. I am an hour and a half drive from Buffalo and went there for an MRI on the knee. That was reasonable at $450 USD.
At Cleveland Clinic the shoulder was much more expensive at $3,500 for first visit and MRI. Total shoulder charges were around $27,000 USD. :eek:

Bobthebuilder 12-10-2009 08:44 AM

For those wondering about the 3 pics jay posted the first one is our approaching Isle Mejures ( an island just off of Cancun ) ; second pic is the prop that threw a blade the day before the run when crossing from Marco to Key West; and 3rd pic is spare fuel which thankfully we did not use. The cans were initially strapped down but got loose on us when the going got rough. All the lines are not pretty but really did the job securing the cans.

Catmando 12-10-2009 09:23 AM

In the same fall I banged up my knee which turned out to be a torn meniscus. (sp?) Had surgery on that in May but is no better. I see the surgeon again in early January and not sure what will become of that. i really do not want any more surgery on it but have decided to see what my options are.

I've got a bad knee from ten years ago. Pretty much stopped all my athletic activities. Hard for me to get in and out of boats too. :(

GLH 12-10-2009 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 3002451)
....I believe the record holder for both is Fabbio Buzzi. He is my hero ( after you of coarse GL!! LOL )...

Well there is a balanced statement!!!! Right!

Do you have information on his times for NY-Miami. I am looking at this more and more and looks like at max 1250 miles. Meaning three stops more like four to be very safe if I would rig DOI with bladders.

Just for fun....On June 21st leaving New York Sunrise is 5:24AM so leaving 30 minutes before that at 5Am and the sun setting on that day in Miami 8:07PM so light until 8:40PM that gives you 15:40 hours of daylight.

Providing the weather is "summerly" fueling in Ocean City (170 miles), Morehead city (280Miles), Charleston (265 miles), St Augustine (229 miles) to Miami (270 miles )....

4 / 45 minute stops to fuel 3 hours...

Leaving 12:40 hours to run you need to AVG 95 MPH on the water to make it in one day of daylight....

Never mind if it's a record or not it would be a blast and not to complicated (relatively).

My guess is the window is 2 weeks on each side of the 21st of June....

I can gear my rig to run at 100mph at 3500 rpm that would not tax the drivetrain too much...

So seas under 4 ft all the way I would need a good navigator...You busy this coming late June? !!!!!!

Here I go again talking crazy....

Come on these seats are very comfortable!!! Just 12 Hours!

http://www.limestonedev.com/mti/003a.jpg
http://www.limestonedev.com/mti/07.jpg

Bobthebuilder 12-10-2009 02:16 PM

[QUOTE=GLH;3003866]Well there is a balanced statement!!!! Right!

Do you have information on his times for NY-Miami. I am looking at this more and more and looks like at max 1250 miles. Meaning three stops more like four to be very safe if I would rig DOI with bladders.

Just for fun....On June 21st leaving New York Sunrise is 5:24AM so leaving 30 minutes before that at 5Am and the sun setting on that day in Miami 8:07PM so light until 8:40PM that gives you 15:40 hours of daylight.

Providing the weather is "summerly" fueling in Ocean City (170 miles), Morehead city (280Miles), Charleston (265 miles), St Augustine (229 miles) to Miami (270 miles )....

4 / 45 minute stops to fuel 3 hours...

Leaving 12:40 hours to run you need to AVG 95 MPH on the water to make it in one day of daylight....

Never mind if it's a record or not it would be a blast and not to complicated (relatively).

My guess is the window is 2 weeks on each side of the 21st of June....

I can gear my rig to run at 100mph at 3500 rpm that would not tax the drivetrain too much...

So seas under 4 ft all the way I would need a good navigator...You busy this coming late June? !!!!!!

Here I go again talking crazy....

Come on these seats are very comfortable!!! Just 12 Hours!

Hey, GL. So far I cannot find info on Buzzi's site on his Mia - NY record but will keep looking. Here is a link to couple of his other long distance records: http://fbdesign.it/c55.php
One of the major challenges for setting a record of this distance is getting the weather to co operate all the way up the eastern seaboard. You will want water like they had for the Bimini run this year. What we found with our Cancun challenge was if it was good on the eastern Gulf , it would be rough on the other side or vice versa, as in seemed to be in a different weather pattern. We waited for 3 three weeks for perfect weather without getting it and finally decided we just had to get on with it. The other major challenge of coarse is doing that distance without mechanical breakage. Much better chance that way with diesel or turbine. The extra challenge turbines will have is being able to carry enough fuel with all they burn. It will be interesting to watch the Phenomenom project.

salesmanship 12-10-2009 03:06 PM

Fabio does not have the record for MIA to NYC.
However he did finish first in the Cannonball Run back in '95.
I know this because I was in it and my team finished 4th.

We need to check with some of the senior experts but I think George Morales still holds the current record

salesmanship 12-10-2009 04:06 PM

We need Brownie to chime in hear but it was The Mercruiser Special in the mid 80's. I think the time was around 19 hours???

What killed us in '95 was only having a 250 mile range.
Stopping to fill up took way too long.

jayboat 12-10-2009 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by GLH (Post 3003866)

Love your optimism! :coolcowboy:

Bobthebuilder 12-10-2009 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by salesmanship (Post 3003949)
Fabio does not have the record for MIA to NYC.
However he did finish first in the Cannonball Run back in '95.
I know this because I was in it and my team finished 4th.

We need to check with some of the senior experts but I think George Morales still holds the current record

The last posting in this article has Pepe Nunez as a record holder for outboards. I wonder if there are different classes? http://www.historicraceboats.com/membersboats.htm

I cut and pasted this out of F Buzzi website and it has him as 1994 winner but no mention of record.
1994:
Superboat - APBA World Champion
Cannonball Race (Miami-New York No-Stop) winner

Now I've found this on Mid Ocean's Facebook page.
George Morales was one of the winningest competitors in Offshore Powerboat Racing history until his drug arrest in 1989. Morales still holds the world speed record for the Miami to New York run. He was the inspiration for the character "Guillermo Morales" in the new book "Mid Ocean."

I also found this on Stan Ware's website:

Popey's Offshore Racing Team 1984 Chapman Callenge Miami to New York V bottom speed record 61.1 MPH 20 hrs. and 31 minutes.

Bobthebuilder 12-10-2009 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by salesmanship (Post 3003978)
We need Brownie to chime in hear but it was The Mercruiser Special in the mid 80's. I think the time was around 19 hours???

What killed us in '95 was only having a 250 mile range.
Stopping to fill up took way too long.

I agree Terry. No lasting long distance records will be set with that short of range. If the time is 19 hrs then it's time someone took a shot at it. That is beatable. ( in my humble opinion )