Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur) >

OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)

Notices

OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)

Old 12-10-2009, 12:12 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
....I believe the record holder for both is Fabbio Buzzi. He is my hero ( after you of coarse GL!! LOL )...
Well there is a balanced statement!!!! Right!

Do you have information on his times for NY-Miami. I am looking at this more and more and looks like at max 1250 miles. Meaning three stops more like four to be very safe if I would rig DOI with bladders.

Just for fun....On June 21st leaving New York Sunrise is 5:24AM so leaving 30 minutes before that at 5Am and the sun setting on that day in Miami 8:07PM so light until 8:40PM that gives you 15:40 hours of daylight.

Providing the weather is "summerly" fueling in Ocean City (170 miles), Morehead city (280Miles), Charleston (265 miles), St Augustine (229 miles) to Miami (270 miles )....

4 / 45 minute stops to fuel 3 hours...

Leaving 12:40 hours to run you need to AVG 95 MPH on the water to make it in one day of daylight....

Never mind if it's a record or not it would be a blast and not to complicated (relatively).

My guess is the window is 2 weeks on each side of the 21st of June....

I can gear my rig to run at 100mph at 3500 rpm that would not tax the drivetrain too much...

So seas under 4 ft all the way I would need a good navigator...You busy this coming late June? !!!!!!

Here I go again talking crazy....

Come on these seats are very comfortable!!! Just 12 Hours!

Last edited by GLH; 12-10-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

[QUOTE=GLH;3003866]Well there is a balanced statement!!!! Right!

Do you have information on his times for NY-Miami. I am looking at this more and more and looks like at max 1250 miles. Meaning three stops more like four to be very safe if I would rig DOI with bladders.

Just for fun....On June 21st leaving New York Sunrise is 5:24AM so leaving 30 minutes before that at 5Am and the sun setting on that day in Miami 8:07PM so light until 8:40PM that gives you 15:40 hours of daylight.

Providing the weather is "summerly" fueling in Ocean City (170 miles), Morehead city (280Miles), Charleston (265 miles), St Augustine (229 miles) to Miami (270 miles )....

4 / 45 minute stops to fuel 3 hours...

Leaving 12:40 hours to run you need to AVG 95 MPH on the water to make it in one day of daylight....

Never mind if it's a record or not it would be a blast and not to complicated (relatively).

My guess is the window is 2 weeks on each side of the 21st of June....

I can gear my rig to run at 100mph at 3500 rpm that would not tax the drivetrain too much...

So seas under 4 ft all the way I would need a good navigator...You busy this coming late June? !!!!!!

Here I go again talking crazy....

Come on these seats are very comfortable!!! Just 12 Hours!

Hey, GL. So far I cannot find info on Buzzi's site on his Mia - NY record but will keep looking. Here is a link to couple of his other long distance records: http://fbdesign.it/c55.php
One of the major challenges for setting a record of this distance is getting the weather to co operate all the way up the eastern seaboard. You will want water like they had for the Bimini run this year. What we found with our Cancun challenge was if it was good on the eastern Gulf , it would be rough on the other side or vice versa, as in seemed to be in a different weather pattern. We waited for 3 three weeks for perfect weather without getting it and finally decided we just had to get on with it. The other major challenge of coarse is doing that distance without mechanical breakage. Much better chance that way with diesel or turbine. The extra challenge turbines will have is being able to carry enough fuel with all they burn. It will be interesting to watch the Phenomenom project.

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 12-10-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fabio does not have the record for MIA to NYC.
However he did finish first in the Cannonball Run back in '95.
I know this because I was in it and my team finished 4th.

We need to check with some of the senior experts but I think George Morales still holds the current record
Old 12-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Registered

We need Brownie to chime in hear but it was The Mercruiser Special in the mid 80's. I think the time was around 19 hours???

What killed us in '95 was only having a 250 mile range.
Stopping to fill up took way too long.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 140 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
Love your optimism!

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG

Last edited by jayboat; 12-10-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by salesmanship

We need to check with some of the senior experts but I think George Morales still holds the current record
The last posting in this article has Pepe Nunez as a record holder for outboards. I wonder if there are different classes? http://www.historicraceboats.com/membersboats.htm

I cut and pasted this out of F Buzzi website and it has him as 1994 winner but no mention of record.
1994:
Superboat - APBA World Champion
Cannonball Race (Miami-New York No-Stop) winner

Now I've found this on Mid Ocean's Facebook page.
George Morales was one of the winningest competitors in Offshore Powerboat Racing history until his drug arrest in 1989. Morales still holds the world speed record for the Miami to New York run. He was the inspiration for the character "Guillermo Morales" in the new book "Mid Ocean."

I also found this on Stan Ware's website:

Popey's Offshore Racing Team 1984 Chapman Callenge Miami to New York V bottom speed record 61.1 MPH 20 hrs. and 31 minutes.

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 12-10-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:39 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

We need Brownie to chime in hear but it was The Mercruiser Special in the mid 80's. I think the time was around 19 hours???

What killed us in '95 was only having a 250 mile range.
Stopping to fill up took way too long.

I agree Terry. No lasting long distance records will be set with that short of range. If the time is 19 hrs then it's time someone took a shot at it. That is beatable. ( in my humble opinion )
Old 12-10-2009, 06:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Found this as well and you could be right, Terry. Not sure if the year was 1984 or 85 ?

Confident and tough - that was George Morales. He piloted his 46-foot Cougar catamaran from Miami to New York in a record 19 hours, 33 minutes. Then he climbed out of the boat and said: "I knew I was going to do it."

So ther you go GL, lets get ready and go for it !!

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 12-10-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:13 AM
Registered

Thanks for reminding me it was '94 when we did the Cannonball run not '95.
Old age setting in....
Old 12-11-2009, 08:17 AM
Registered

If they get it going it looks like these guys have it on their agenda.

I would like to give an introduction into the Phenomenon and my role. I have been with Copeland's Motorsports for 18 years and this is my 6th turbine boat project for them. I started this project with Al Copeland Sr in 1998 and am currently finishing it with his family. The boat is a 56ft, 13.6' wide Phenomenon design that we currently have molds of and hope to manufacture. We are rigging the boat with four t-55 L7C turbine engines, four custom gearboxes, 2 custom crashboxes for reverse, and four ASD 11 custon Arneson drives. We are hoping to splash the boat sometime in December. Al Copeland Jr will drive and I will throttle and we hope to break multiple speed records including the Miami to New York, which Al Copeland Sr still holds in the Popeyes V bottom. This project was extremely important to Al Copeland Sr. as it is to us and I hope that it is to you.

Scott Barnhart

Quick Reply: OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.