Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur) >

OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)

Notices

OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)

Old 05-16-2008, 10:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts
Default OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)

Ever since I read about Reggie doing his record breaking run from Key West to Cancun, Mexico back in 2003, I have thought – that would be a cool thing to do!! http://www.fountainpower.com/boats/c...48EC_Nov03.pdf
So always looking for a new adventure, we are set to cross the Gulf of Mexico and back, a little later this month to try and establish a new two way record.

I now have the break in hours I need on the new Yanmar powered Team PREDATOR Nor Tech 5000V. I am scheduled to fly back to FL mid next week to make final preparations. Props are selected and just some minor tweaking to do. The early date to get the crew all together in Key West is sometime over the Memorial Day weekend. We will watch for a weather window that will allow us to go, and return. While in Mexico, we hope to spend a day exploring the Myan coast before returning to Key West.

Friends and family will be able to watch us leave Key West on the webcams that overlook the harbor.
http://floridakeyswebcams.tv/
They will have to get up early tho, as we will leave not long after sun up. Our goal is to average 65 MPH and be there for lunch, but we will see! (we gain 2 hrs going west) The distance is 400 miles across and we hope to cover it in around 6hrs. On arrival in Cancun, we will position ourselves in front of a webcam in the Hotel Zone overlooking the beach. http://cancun.travel/en/maps-multimedia-and-downloads/
The view from this webcam is not the best and if anyone can find us a better one, it would be greatly appreciated.

On board will be Terry Sobo from Nor Tech; Terry Tomalin from Powerboat Magazine; Bill Jennings representing the sanctioning body, APRA ; Steve Page; and Wayne Aston and Gary Wilson from Celerity Investments, our major sponsor.

Additional sponsors to Celerity Investments are, Nor Tech Boats, Page Racing, Mastry Engine Center, DoubleR Performance and Garmin. Also OSO MegaByte*3, Tom Cullen of Caloosa Isle Boat Sales in Ft. Myers is providing us with his Sat. phone and EPIRB. Thank you, sponsors. !!

We are planning on having OSO Jayboat overhead in a helicopter taking some of those fantastic pictures of his, as we leave Key West harbor. Friends OSO Rockstrmkr ( Hans H ) and OSO Marco Marc along with Jay will then fly over to Cancun in Marc’s plane to join us.

I am going to dedicate this run to Jennifur Molter. Jennifur is the young girl that survived the horrific offshore boating accident off Marco Island, where she lost her mom, sister, brother and future brother-in-law a year and a half ago. Our local offshore club, Ft. Myers Offshore along with help from the OSO community has helped Jennifur with tuition and books for the past two semesters, at Edison College. Jennifur hopes to go on to University when she finishes College so there will be a continuing need for funding for some time yet. Most of you are aware of the theft of $7,400 from the Trust Fund we have set up for her. If not, you should read this thread: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=185380
The missing funds have not yet been replaced by the Bank of America but we are continuing to persue them.
I will match the first $2,000.00 in pledges to help top up the Trust Fund. A pledge of 10cents per mile to the Trust Fund for our trip will be $40.00 over or $80.00 total for the complete run to Cancun and back. Any amount, large or small will help and be greatly appreciated by Jennifur. If you have already contributed to this cause I would not expect, nor ask for further donation. Many have been asking if they can make a contribution and this is your chance. Checks should be made payable to: “The Jennifur Molter Trust”, c/o IBR Realty, Mr. Hans Haedelt, Marco Town Center Mall, 1035 N. Collier Blvd; Suite 312, Marco Island, FL 34145. Thank you for any consideration you give this worthwhile cause.

So, that is our hopes and dreams for later this month. Wish us well !

Bob

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 05-17-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:58 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

This is the route. Just 20 miles off the coast of Cuba. We will of coarse respect their 12 mile limit.
Attached Thumbnails OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)-g-earth-kw-cancun-1.jpg   OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)-ft-myers-pr-april-08-009-large-.jpg  
Old 05-16-2008, 11:00 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool. Good luck Bob
Old 05-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet, good luck!
Old 05-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

good luck bro !
Old 05-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck for a good cause. Suggest you consider adding a stop in Cozumel.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

That is awsome! Good luck Bob!
Old 05-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best of luck to you aand your crew. That will be one hell of a trip. Be safe!!
Old 05-16-2008, 11:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 136 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm proud to be a part of this, Bob. Can't wait!!!

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 05-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Ya Bob... Go get it !

Quick Reply: OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.