Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Advice from Engine Builders, Please >

Advice from Engine Builders, Please

Notices

Advice from Engine Builders, Please

Old 05-17-2008, 05:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would wonder after sitting that long, If the engine was fogged with oil the last time it was run. Might not be a bad Idea to prelube the engine before firing it up again for the first time,and maybe even spray some penetrating oil in each cylinder and let it sit for a day or so before starting.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, you should visit the Apache section. One of us probably knows the boat and can tell you if it's ever been dunked or broken. Second, you need to have the boat professionally surveyed. Unless you don't mind a $10,000-plus surprise, you need a pro to do a thorough checkout. If you're financing it, you'll most likely be asked for it anyway. If you've yet to get insurance, it will most likely be a requirement.

Is the owner doing the re-commissioning or are you? 4 years of sitting is a stretch and not knowing exactly how it was laid up brings everything into question. It would need all fluids and filters as well as a thorough look-thru. The fuel in the tank is probably bad. I'd also be concerned about a motor that's had the valves sitting open in one spot for 4 years, not to mention the toll it takes on valve springs. You can do a startup but they'd have to be immediately replaced before running if it were me. A leakdown test on the motors is a must.

Nothing wrong with TRS drives- there are still parts available as well as used drives.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:06 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 446 Posts

sounds like the old snake dance boat.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Depends on the care taken putting it away,,,, also as stated above,,,, valve springs in one spot all these years may have taken a toll,,,,, alothough,,,, that motor didnt have an overly aggressive cam, but in the interest of reliability is worth looking at
Old 05-17-2008, 09:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
sounds like the old snake dance boat.
It had Bravos.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Put some fresh gas in it and run it till it breaks. Depending on the humidity levels in the area, etc. you will have a little surface rust in areas that you don't want it. Penetrating oil, etc. in the cyliders is a good idea.

I wonder about the blowers, if they are coroded inside or not.

If you are anal about it, then you will need to tear eerything down, or if you are the gambling type, just put some fresh gas and fluids in it and run it like you stole it. If it has been sitting that long, then you probably are anyway.

Good luck. Send us some pics. You know we want to see what you are talking about.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fresh Gas,pre Lube, Valve Springs As Soon As Possible!!!!!
Old 05-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by obnoxus
Depends on the care taken putting it away,,,, also as stated above,,,, valve springs in one spot all these years may have taken a toll,,,,, alothough,,,, that motor didnt have an overly aggressive cam, but in the interest of reliability is worth looking at
Is the problem with valve springs the rebound on the spring is going to be weak or does the spring stand a chance of breaking?
Old 05-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Ona-Mission
Is the problem with valve springs the rebound on the spring is going to be weak or does the spring stand a chance of breaking?
I would actually be more worried about the exhaust valves that were open during the layup.

They rust sometimes and won't seal again.

Have you run the engines yet? what do they sound like?

Start them and see what happens. If you were going to take them apart anyway, then what could it hurt?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have not run them. Having a survey done friday this week and will be doing a leakdown test also. I plan to tear both completely appart during the winter, just trying to figure my odds in making it through a summer. Short summers here in Michigan are too valuable to loose any boating season.

Quick Reply: Advice from Engine Builders, Please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.