Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
CNG fuel coversion with boats? >

CNG fuel coversion with boats?

Notices

CNG fuel coversion with boats?

Old 05-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Natural gas does not puddle but I would not say that it is lighter than air.
It is largely methane that is heavier than air.
Natural gas will disapate and fill a space. ( like an engine compartment ) Natural gas is much more dangerous than gasoline because gas has to vaporize before it will burn, natural gas is already in that state.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boom

You need to look into the regulations when it come to boats and flammable gases. Not just the Coast Guard but also the Classification Societies. Natural gas is heavier than air and also more explosive than gasoline. None of this aftermarket hillbilly stuff is safe in a marine enviroment.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Natural Gas IS lighter than air !
I've done many Vehicle conversion's in the past. I have swithched jobs since and no longer do them. Also the Nat. gas Co i work for stopped doing them long ago.
Duel fuel would be the way to go. Aluminum tanks are available with a set regulated lifespan. Steel tanks must undergo perodic Inspection's.
One problem is the amount of actual volume from these tank's is small.4' x 1' tank approx =8 gal.. There are different system's 2400 # and 3600 # depending on the Compressor station. I've watched many dedicated Veh's come in on the hook !
Sailboaters carry CNG for their stoves also. So. i dont know what the max. carrying capacity would be on a Boat.
Feasiable yes,practical i dunno. You'd have to carry at least 2 large Aluminum tanks to get anywhere with the mpg a boat gets.

Last edited by DONZI; 05-18-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:19 PM
1CE
Registered

Hey, Ken, how r-u ? any-ways Quick ? what is the MBTA doing with the "silver line" is it not using CNG to power that line of buses on a daily basis ! u-do a cruse w/knot-right yet ?
Old 05-19-2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by DONZI
Natural Gas IS lighter than air !
I've done many Vehicle conversion's in the past. I have swithched jobs since and no longer do them. Also the Nat. gas Co i work for stopped doing them long ago.
Duel fuel would be the way to go. Aluminum tanks are available with a set regulated lifespan. Steel tanks must undergo perodic Inspection's.
One problem is the amount of actual volume from these tank's is small.4' x 1' tank approx =8 gal.. There are different system's 2400 # and 3600 # depending on the Compressor station. I've watched many dedicated Veh's come in on the hook !
Sailboaters carry CNG for their stoves also. So. i dont know what the max. carrying capacity would be on a Boat.
Feasiable yes,practical i dunno. You'd have to carry at least 2 large Aluminum tanks to get anywhere with the mpg a boat gets.
#1. At the same temperature and in gaseous form natural gas weighs 60% of air making it lighter than air. BUT! You are messing with "Compressed Natural Gas"! When it is released it has to expand and equalize in temperature before it becomes "lighter than air". Contrary to popular belief this just doesn't happen in an instant. Altitude, Temperature, Humidity, Rate of Release and Confinement all play a part in how fast the the process occurs. In a confined space "CNG" will puddle till it gases off.
#2. A lot of leisure boats carry small tanks of CNG, LNG & LPG. By regulation those tanks have to be carried outside of any enclosed occupied space or machinery space and vented to the external atmosphere. Where are you going to put these tanks at? Strap them on deck somewhere?
#3. For all the weight there isn't enough inherent energy in CNG to give you decent performance. Why not go whole hog start messing with LNG?
#4. Just remember this between 4% to 16% by volume natural gas is EXPLOSIVE!!!
Old 05-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1CE
Hey, Ken, how r-u ? any-ways Quick ? what is the MBTA doing with the "silver line" is it not using CNG to power that line of buses on a daily basis ! u-do a cruse w/knot-right yet ?
Hi Jay !
Doing great !
The buses work out pretty good for CNG. Lot's of room to put all the tanks,short trips,return to the same depot to slow fill overnite.
I haven't had the chance to go out with Gerry. It was great attending Turbine school 101 with him.
See ya on the water soon !
Old 05-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 29Firefox
#1. At the same temperature and in gaseous form natural gas weighs 60% of air making it lighter than air. BUT! You are messing with "Compressed Natural Gas"! When it is released it has to expand and equalize in temperature before it becomes "lighter than air". Contrary to popular belief this just doesn't happen in an instant. Altitude, Temperature, Humidity, Rate of Release and Confinement all play a part in how fast the the process occurs. In a confined space "CNG" will puddle till it gases off.
#2. A lot of leisure boats carry small tanks of CNG, LNG & LPG. By regulation those tanks have to be carried outside of any enclosed occupied space or machinery space and vented to the external atmosphere. Where are you going to put these tanks at? Strap them on deck somewhere?
#3. For all the weight there isn't enough inherent energy in CNG to give you decent performance. Why not go whole hog start messing with LNG?
#4. Just remember this between 4% to 16% by volume natural gas is EXPLOSIVE!!!
#1 Pretty rare circumstances for it to puddle.L.N.G. yes,CNG disperse's pretty darn quick.
In a confined space it will also displace the oxygen and be outside the flammability range .Depending on the rate of release again.
#2. I agree.
The tanks are would be the main issue and a filling station.
#3 The weight of alumminum tanks isn't bad. Just the size's and amount of'em that would be silly.Like ya said, where would ya put'em ??
Less power and mileage with CNG. Unless you could find a way to put the high octane to work.

#4 Gasoline. Flammibility rate 1.4- 7.4 also considered explosive and always heavier than air.

I give DYNO credit for thinking outside of the box.
For a Boat it's just not practical tho.
Take care ! Ken
Old 05-21-2008, 05:23 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just trying to figure out a way to keep boating.......cng would be the way to go with my dailey driver. Keep you minds open we need to do something.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Impressive kit.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by DONZI
For a Boat it's just not practical tho.
Take care ! Ken
Ya hit the nail dead smack on the head!

Here is another one did you know Natural Gas can explode without actual combustion?

Last edited by 29Firefox; 05-23-2008 at 05:48 PM.