Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Daytona Poker Run this weekend.... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/186961-daytona-poker-run-weekend.html)

Jupiter Sunsation 05-18-2008 07:32 PM

Daytona Poker Run this weekend....

My wife has a broken foot so we cheated and ran inside on the ICW from Daytona to St Augustine on Saturday. We left later than the pack, ran 45 MPH and we were the first boat to hit the lunch stop. Seas offshore went from a predicted 1-2, up to a 2-4 but with a shifting wind it became 3-5's for a 60 mile ride offshore with no inlets in between.

1st boat to the stop was Canada Thrust, and they were a solid 30 minutes before the pack. They hit a high of 130 and spent some time just racing around out there enjoying the day. Next boat to the stop was Tom's new 46 RR, Get Smart (former Twisted). This 46 arrived before a 43 NT/ 44 MTI.

Event was great but local LEO's were D ! C K H E A D S ! ! ! 9 of the first boats heading to the inlet were ticketed for speeding. The $63 hassle was a buzzkill despite trying to do the right thing by running offshore.

H2Xmark 05-18-2008 08:44 PM

how was the weather?? hope to see some pics soon

kimmer 05-18-2008 08:47 PM

I popped into CJack's Sat and it looked like a light crowd.. Stayed for a bit and caught Stu on the way out. He said 19 made the run and 18 made it back.

If I had know someone was running the intercoastal I would have joined you.. I couldn't have keep up with the big dogs on the ocean:party-smiley-004:

Jupiter Sunsation 05-18-2008 10:36 PM

Most boats went back on the trailer after the run Saturday since boating Sunday was not going to be worth the hassle and the winds were picking up.

cuda 05-18-2008 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by kimmer (Post 2561931)
I popped into CJack's Sat and it looked like a light crowd.. Stayed for a bit and caught Stu on the way out. He said 19 made the run and 18 made it back.

If I had know someone was running the intercoastal I would have joined you.. I couldn't have keep up with the big dogs on the ocean:party-smiley-004:

I forgot all about the poker run this weekend. I was up in Jax working, and when I got home, there was a message something about CJax, but he didn't leave a name. Turned out, it was my neighbor, Kurt, who is restoring a 38 Bertam Comp.

I'd have met you up there, and I guarantee, I'd have known somebody making the run. Most of them run the ICW anyway, rough or not.:rolleyes:

Did you get a chance to water test your boat yet?

cuda 05-18-2008 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 2561844)
a 60 mile ride offshore with no inlets in between.

That's one thing that really sucks on this coast, compared to the Gulf Coast, when I lived in St Pete, There is probably and inlet every ten miles or so. Dozens of places to go, and dozens of different ways to get there.
Over here, not only is it 60 miles north the St Augustine for an inlet, it's about the same headed south, because I beleve Port Canaveral is the first inlet headed south.:(

Jupiter Sunsation 05-18-2008 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by cuda (Post 2562036)
That's one thing that really sucks on this coast, compared to the Gulf Coast, when I lived in St Pete, There is probably and inlet every ten miles or so. Dozens of places to go, and dozens of different ways to get there.
Over here, not only is it 60 miles north the St Augustine for an inlet, it's about the same headed south, because I beleve Port Canaveral is the first inlet headed south.:(

Matanzas is an inlet but I would be afraid to use it without local knowledge. A capt. I met said you can get through there on the perfect day at high tide with 3 ft. draft but it really is best in a flats boat/ whaler.

Down in Jupiter the inlets are about 10-15 miles apart so it makes for a good run rough or not. 60 miles from Jupiter I can be in the Bahamas! :D