Notices

Port of questoin?

Old 05-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 27 is documented. MisSpent Youth out of Cornelius NC.

The 32 isnt but I think I am going to next week. Same attorney said that she could do it as well.

It is just a 2 year old doc. for me, but was documented when I bought it out of VA.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

WHAT VESSELS MAY BE DOCUMENTED?
A vessel must measure at least five net tons and, with the exception of certain oil spill response vessels, must be wholly owned by a citizen of the U.S.

HOW DO I KNOW IF MY VESSEL MEASURES FIVE NET TONS?
Net tonnage is a measure of a vessel's volume. It should not be confused with the vessel's weight, which may also be expressed in tons. Most vessels more than 25 feet in length will measure five net tons or more. For information about how tonnage is determined, including a web-based interactive form that calculates tonnages, visit the U.S. Coast Guard Marine Safety Center's web site at the Marine Safety Center's Tonnage Page.

WHAT ARE THE VESSEL NAME AND HAILING PORT MARKING REQUIREMENTS?
Documented vessels do not display their official numbers on the outside of the hull, but are identified by the name and hailing port. The application for documentation must include a name for the vessel composed of letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals and may not exceed 33 characters. The name may not be identical, actually or phonetically, to any word or words used to solicit assistance at sea; may not contain or be phonetically identical to obscene, indecent, or profane language, or to racial or ethnic epithets. Once established, a vessel's name may not be changed without application, fees, and the consent of the Director, National Vessel Documentation Center. There is no rule against duplication of names for documented vessels, so hailing ports are helpful in identifying vessels.

HOW DO I MARK MY VESSEL?
The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded of the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.

The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Registered

Are there tax advantages to documenting, and is that why most do it?

What is the cost generally for documentation?
Old 05-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Registered

$500 bucks for me to document.

I dont know about tax advantages - but the state pulls the info on boats from the wildlife registry. It is illegal to register a Coast Guard documented boat with the state. So unless you are truthful (most are) about disclosing personal property then they would never know. I have bad luck so I have never tested this theory, but in theory it could work.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

4" letters is what I was told when I documented. The graphic person also had said the same thing although I am not saying you should trust that. I had 4.5" of space so that's why it came up, 8" at LOTO I rarely see...
Old 05-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just bvought a documented boat and re documented in my name. I was told that the coast Guard will notify the state and I should expect a tax bill from the state. So the state will get theirs.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
I could be wrong, but I think his question does not really have to do with documentation, but more about do you put the name of the town you live in vs the town that you boat out of underneath the boats name. In MI the majority of people with cruiser boats regardless if they are documented put their hometown under the boat name, regardless if it is near the water. It is very common to see towns like Bloomfield Hills or Warren under the name of a boat even those those towns are miles from the lake. Ian and sort of laugh because tradition is that your port of call is what should be on the boat, but as far as MI goes I don't think a lot of boaters know that tradition Since our port of call is differnt weekly we opted to leave it off the boat.
I see the same around here all the time. Way more common for me to see the town that people live in, rather than the town they have a summer home in.