496 MAG HO Help Needed....ASAP >

496 MAG HO Help Needed....ASAP

Notices

496 MAG HO Help Needed....ASAP

Old 05-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by obnoxus
switch a couple things in the ignition sys to see if the problem moves .
Guys, Thanks for all the replys....you guys kick @ss...

Here's what I did.

I swapped all the relays on top of the motors, port to starboard and vice versa. I took the boat to the water at 8am CST dropped it in and cracked the engine cover.....nothing, both motors ran absolutley perfect without cutting out for roughly an hour. The port motor would cut out 30 min into running it prior to swapping all the relays.

After an hour of riding with no problems I turned the boat around to head back and this time closed the hatch completely and 15min into the ride back the port motor beeped extremely loud but never shut down.

Looked at the temp gauge and it was between 200-240, the motor was running hot. Stopped the boat let the motors idle the temp dropped below 180, cracked the hatch and ran 100% perfect at near WOT....never had a problem again...

I think the impeller is out or is weak...I'm headed back to the water for more testing, I'll update if needed...Thanks Again for all your help!

Old 05-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

I had the exact same thing happening to my 8.1/496 in my 2001 Chevy truck. It happened on and off for a year. Couldn't figure out wtf it was. Finally the part failed completely and it was the crank position sensor. I don't know if the 496 amrine use the same part, but GM also had a recall on them a few years later.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by long duck dong
Guys, Thanks for all the replys....you guys kick @ss...

Here's what I did.

I swapped all the relays on top of the motors, port to starboard and vice versa. I took the boat to the water at 8am CST dropped it in and cracked the engine cover.....nothing, both motors ran absolutley perfect without cutting out for roughly an hour. The port motor would cut out 30 min into running it prior to swapping all the relays.

After an hour of riding with no problems I turned the boat around to head back and this time closed the hatch completely and 15min into the ride back the port motor beeped extremely loud but never shut down.

Looked at the temp gauge and it was between 200-240, the motor was running hot. Stopped the boat let the motors idle the temp dropped below 180, cracked the hatch and ran 100% perfect at near WOT....never had a problem again...

I think the impeller is out or is weak...I'm headed back to the water for more testing, I'll update if needed...Thanks Again for all your help!

If you suspect ANYTHING is wrong with the impeller, just replace it. Its a BIG PITA if it disintegrates.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Banned

Well, I just got back in from running today, I wasnt out long but my 2 year old wasnt liking the heat...

I thought I had it fixed swapping the relays and water testing it early this morning. I got it to the boat ramp around noon, put it in the water...port motor wouldnt fire...got off the dock with the starboard motor.

I limped over to meet up with others friends of mine and all of sudden it started working again....ran fine without a hitch for at least an hour or so. We get to the sandbar tie up get it the water goof off and whatever go to leave and no port motor.

A buddy on mine jumps in my boat we raise the hatch....he grabs the main harness connector (you know the one that looks like a trailer lights plug) take it off, and spreads the connectors apart...plugs it back....not anohter problem....ran WOT without a hitch...

Like I said, "it my luck that it's alwasy something dumb"...

Thanks Again For the Replys...Have a Good Weekend!!
Old 05-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

You can't complain about a free fix!