Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   2 dead Lake St. Clair (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/187442-2-dead-lake-st-clair.html)

johnny b good 05-25-2008 09:23 PM

Very sad start to the summer, I won't go out of my way to run at night if I don't have to.

dockrocker 05-25-2008 09:25 PM

From the pics it looks like he hit it pretty damn near square, with no deflection. A sudden stop from even 20 mph can do enormous amounts of damage to a flying human body. Let's not rush to judgement, there has been nothing about alcohol use in the news.

www.wdiv.com
www.wxyz.com
www.fox2detroit.com
www.detnews.com
www.freep.com

Local news links if you are interested.

HotPursuit 05-25-2008 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Michael1 (Post 2569541)
We just had a thread about what booze people carry on board their boats. What was described and consumed, was anything but "moderation". At the speeds these boats go, I don't think the skipper should be consuming any alcohol.

My condolences to the families of those lost.

Michael

Here this site goes again , can the familys attleast mourn there love ones before this site attacks the captain like some kind of murder!! People accidents are going to happen with or with out alcohol.We dont even now the verdict and OSO brothers turn into a pack of wolfs!! How many people will die in car related deaths this weekend something like one every 12 seconds.Lets not turn this into what he shouldn't have done Im sure he feels bad enough allready.Nobody on this site is perfect and when we leave the dock with our friends and family aboard I dont think were thinking lets take a life or get hurt.Think before you post.
My prayers go out to all the familys and friends.

Michael1 05-26-2008 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by HotPursuit (Post 2569622)
Here this site goes again , can the familys attleast mourn there love ones before this site attacks the captain like some kind of murder!! People accidents are going to happen with or with out alcohol.We dont even now the verdict and OSO brothers turn into a pack of wolfs!! How many people will die in car related deaths this weekend something like one every 12 seconds.Lets not turn this into what he shouldn't have done Im sure he feels bad enough allready.Nobody on this site is perfect and when we leave the dock with our friends and family aboard I dont think were thinking lets take a life or get hurt.Think before you post.
My prayers go out to all the familys and friends.

You're telling people to "think before you post", yet where are all these attacks on the driver? The discussion about alcohol and accidents was in response to the WWJ article that said, "Alcohol remains a major concern, with all but seven of last year's fatalities related to drinking." With all due respect, perhaps you should read the entire thread before passing judgement on others.

Michael

fund razor 05-26-2008 05:19 AM

First of all.... of course people are going to speculate. It is human nature that we try to control the uncontrollable by trying to understand it, and sometimes that quest for understanding takes us down the speculation path. I do not think that this is a sign of no respect.

2) When I read the article... all I saw was 38 feet, 5 people, and 11 pm and I knew it was a perf boat. So I came straight here. Of course it was a perf boat.

3) I will leave the issue of alcohol for another time or thread, as we have not had confirmation yet that the skipper was over .00. BUT.... please, people. Promise me that you will not be running in the dark without AT LEAST a second person on watch besides the skipper. I can't tell you how many times I have caught something from the portside seat or had somebody catch something for me.

God bless those who lost their lives.

Be safe... post a watch.

BillR 05-26-2008 07:36 AM

So sad. God bless all of the families involved.

Was the owner part of the OSO family?

MattBMiller 05-26-2008 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by olredalert (Post 2569291)
------If this powerquest was silver it was at Browns mid-afternoon. Dont know the people involved but feel terrible for all involved.........Bill S

It was white and purple with a bimini top. I saw the boat at Jacks Saturday prior to the accident. Also saw the barge while out on the water yesterday. The barge is positioned outside of the channel markers.

My condolences to the families.

BOSSMAN 05-26-2008 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by CAPTAIN CHUCK (Post 2569446)
So sad to hear.:(

I have said this numerous times on this board and I always get pounded for saying it but it is the truth....

If running at night at over 10 mph a radar should be a mandatory piece of equipment.

RIP........

Agree to this but any speed over 10 is asking for trouble in the dark.

Wildman1 05-26-2008 09:11 AM

Not Me

The World famous Blondes Preferred boat is safely parked in its garage out at the farm. Had to come home early from Lake Cumberland the driver was not feeling well and it wasn't from a hang over.

bouyhunter 05-26-2008 09:18 AM

Very sad news.
Thoughts and prayers to the families.

Running at night can be very dangerous.
Running at night earned me my screen name. I was lucky I just grazed the buoy - could have been much worse.
I have thought many times about what happened to me that night, and it definitely changed my perspective on things.