If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    My Boats:
    353 with Prochargers
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I love boating at night. But now I will be more alert to whats out there and not rely on GPS.
    Gods speed to everyone involved .....

We got a wild hair last night and went to a local Resturant about 12-15 mile run ... I thought we would make it back by dusk but a dissappearing waiter changed all that .... Usually if we are out after dark its only during full moon and clear sky's .... I have had some great times during those conditions ....It usually takes one dark trip a year to remind me to check the moon and conditions ....m

Charter Member Charter Member Raypanic's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Formula 400SS Eliminator 236 Eagle XP
    Lake Orion, MI. USA

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I love boating at night. But now I will be more alert to whats out there and not rely on GPS.
    This is why having a post like this is helpful, just a little reminder of what could happen, not who is at fault who was drinking etc....

FYI I heard a couple of days ago that they were getting rid of the barge now by "dismantling" it. Too late for these unfortunate people

Newbury Park, CA
    Maybe a pair of night vision binoculars wouldn't be a bad idea at night. They have them now for under $400, less than a tank of gas for most of us.

Found some here: Night Vision Store

Here's a website with a chart that shows how far you can see a boat at night under various lighting conditions in number of yards: full moon, part moon, starlit, cloudy. How Night Vision Works

My Boats:
    2003 Eliminator Daytona ICC
    Tulsa, OK

It is so hard to see anything at night. I damm near hit a stationary pontoon the other night, while in the middle of the lake waiting on the trailer. You lose your sense of depth perception and the other boat's lights just blend in with the shoreline lighting, etc..VERY dangerous stuff. Of course, I never seem to understand why people just love to park in the middle of the lake, either! That's one of the most dangerous things in boating, and a good way to get hit, for sure...
    Last edited by Yellow_ICC_OK; 05-30-2008 at 09:24 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567