Notices

2 dead Lake St. Clair

Old 05-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MacGyver
I love boating at night. But now I will be more alert to whats out there and not rely on GPS.
Gods speed to everyone involved .....

We got a wild hair last night and went to a local Resturant about 12-15 mile run ... I thought we would make it back by dusk but a dissappearing waiter changed all that .... Usually if we are out after dark its only during full moon and clear sky's .... I have had some great times during those conditions ....It usually takes one dark trip a year to remind me to check the moon and conditions ....m
Old 05-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by MacGyver
I love boating at night. But now I will be more alert to whats out there and not rely on GPS.
This is why having a post like this is helpful, just a little reminder of what could happen, not who is at fault who was drinking etc....

FYI I heard a couple of days ago that they were getting rid of the barge now by "dismantling" it. Too late for these unfortunate people
Old 05-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Maybe a pair of night vision binoculars wouldn't be a bad idea at night. They have them now for under $400, less than a tank of gas for most of us.

Found some here: Night Vision Store

Here's a website with a chart that shows how far you can see a boat at night under various lighting conditions in number of yards: full moon, part moon, starlit, cloudy. How Night Vision Works

Michael
Old 05-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad.

It is so hard to see anything at night. I damm near hit a stationary pontoon the other night, while in the middle of the lake waiting on the trailer. You lose your sense of depth perception and the other boat's lights just blend in with the shoreline lighting, etc..VERY dangerous stuff. Of course, I never seem to understand why people just love to park in the middle of the lake, either! That's one of the most dangerous things in boating, and a good way to get hit, for sure...

Last edited by Yellow_ICC_OK; 05-30-2008 at 09:24 PM.