how much is gas on the water where you boat

Old 05-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maximus
5.17 - 93
5.03 - 87

St Pete Beach fl.
that is high....why exactly does gas cost more on the water....is it just because they can?
Old 05-26-2008, 10:33 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

It was 3.79 at the docks in Wellfleet, MA and 3.99 out on the road. I couldn't figure it out.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Registered

Checked the pump yesterday when we put in, 4.10 for 87.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BOSSMAN
You have to look at the difference in cost. If it went up a $1.50 a gal. it is only $150.00 more than last year. If your not up to that difference over the total cost of boating. Then leave it on the trailer.
Ditto. The extra $50 - $100 a weekend it cost me compared to last year doesn't make that much difference when you compare it to the boat note, insurance, storage, bar tab, etc. Whats the point of making money if you're not going to spend it.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BOSSMAN
You have to look at the difference in cost. If it went up a $1.50 a gal. it is only $150.00 more than last year. If your not up to that difference over the total cost of boating. Then leave it on the trailer.
Your missing the point. Its more about priorities. Gas is up $1.50 to $2.00 on the water, but thats just the beginning. Gas is up $1.00 to $2.00 on the road, which makes commuting more expemsive, and it's driving up the prices of the necessities of life. Food, shipping, manufacturing. All goods and services. Most peoples incomes have not grown to keep pace, actually many have gone backwards. Most People have families to support, and unfortnately boating cannot be the priority . It is becoming more and more of a luxury that only a few can afford. I have noticed many people posting on this board seem to be divorced from this reality, but this is what is happening .
Old 05-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

I was pumping gas in the summer of 1969. I don't think our price ever went over 25.9. During a gas war it went to 16.9 or 17.9. If you don't remember gas wars, the "company stations" would sell at a loss trying to force the independents out of business.

But look at the bright side, the minimum wage in 1969 was $1.60 Hr. and would buy you 8.88 gals. of gas per hr worked @ 0.18 per gal.

2008 minimum wages are clear up to $7.35 Hr. so now you can buy 1.83 gals. of gas per hr. worked @ $4.00 per gal.

Since the Gov. is helping fight inflation to minimum wagers out the I feel a lot better.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marinaseeker
Your missing the point. Its more about priorities. Gas is up $1.50 to $2.00 on the water, but thats just the beginning. Gas is up $1.00 to $2.00 on the road, which makes commuting more expemsive, and it's driving up the prices of the necessities of life. Food, shipping, manufacturing. All goods and services. Most peoples incomes have not grown to keep pace, actually many have gone backwards. Most People have families to support, and unfortnately boating cannot be the priority . It is becoming more and more of a luxury that only a few can afford. I have noticed many people posting on this board seem to be divorced from this reality, but this is what is happening .
WE get it!! I would love to own a gulf stream V and fly everyplace i want to travel to.I cant afford one so i fly on the airlines .The post on here are mostly true gas is the very cheap part of any kind of boating.7 boats in 30yrs and gas had not increased no were close to the price of the boat insurance & maintenace.
The extra cost will be added to goods and services or companys will not stay in business.Supply and demand controls the price it allways has.Let people stop drinking 7$ cup of starbucks and see how cheap it becomes. Just my 4 cents worth