Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New guy here who needs some advice. >

New guy here who needs some advice.

Notices

New guy here who needs some advice.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy here who needs some advice.

I am in the market for a boat. I have owned 2 flat bottom V-drive boats that each did over 90 so speed on the water isn't new to me, however, speed in a big boat will be. I sold my last one a few years ago because it was just to one dimensional. I am currently looking in the under $50,000 range for a boat that will see both ocean and lake use. I would like to be able to run at least a legit 75+. Currently I have four boats that I am seriously considering:
1. 1991 Scarab 38 Excel with 2 SCed 588s
2. 1983 10 meter Fountain Executioner with injected 502s
3. 1986 Wellcraft Excalibur Cat 32' with 2 500mpi's
4. 1989 Regal Velocity 30' with 2 SCed 575s

All are around the same price and condition. I would appreciate any advice, pros/cons, suggestions on any of these boats. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scarab is a nice boat that will hold it's value pretty well. The Fountain is a decent rough water boat but fairly heavy. The Wellcraft cat is the mutt of the litter- avoid it at all costs. The Regal Velocity isn't a Velocity, it's a Regal that looks like a Velocity and built under licence.

On the Scarab, Blown 588's are alot of motor. They're also expensive to maintain and repair. You don't mention what drives- on these boats you'll likely have TRS drives which have been discontinued for some time and possibly early Bravos that aren't going to hold up under bigger power.

With all used boats, the key is condition. Not just what it looks like on the outside but things like transom/stringer rot, mechanical issues, hidden damage/repair, etc. Not on emember on this board will disagree that you need to have whatever prospective purchase you're considering fully surveyed by a known high-performance marine surveyor. Not a generalist.

I don't know where Summerville South Carolina is but we do have some members down that way that I'm sure can help or point you towards boats. If you run across a fat guy by the name of "Fred"... run.

This might be helpful- where do you plan on boating, who goes with you and what's your budget?
Old 05-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Scarab is a nice boat that will hold it's value pretty well. The Fountain is a decent rough water boat but fairly heavy. The Wellcraft cat is the mutt of the litter- avoid it at all costs. The Regal Velocity isn't a Velocity, it's a Regal that looks like a Velocity and built under licence.

On the Scarab, Blown 588's are alot of motor. They're also expensive to maintain and repair. You don't mention what drives- on these boats you'll likely have TRS drives which have been discontinued for some time and possibly early Bravos that aren't going to hold up under bigger power.

With all used boats, the key is condition. Not just what it looks like on the outside but things like transom/stringer rot, mechanical issues, hidden damage/repair, etc. Not on emember on this board will disagree that you need to have whatever prospective purchase you're considering fully surveyed by a known high-performance marine surveyor. Not a generalist.

I don't know where Summerville South Carolina is but we do have some members down that way that I'm sure can help or point you towards boats. If you run across a fat guy by the name of "Fred"... run.

This might be helpful- where do you plan on boating, who goes with you and what's your budget?
Just my wife and probably my dog will be the main ones who come and then the obvious 2-4 friends. Summerville, SC is about 20 miles Northwest of Charleston, SC. My budget is $50,000. The motors on the SCARAB only have 40 hours on them and the drives are 2006 XR Drives with Imco sportmaster lowers. I guess the Wellcraft CAT isn't a good idea. Cool, thanks for the heads up. I'm sure others will chime in.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:32 PM

The scarab sounds way too go to be true. The driveline is worth more than the asking price. I'd look into why.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Registered

No matter what you buy or who is selling it, get a survey and include the motors. Make sure the surveyor is reputable.

The scarab if everything is right might be a good boat. You're asking a lot from the drives. Who build the motors? A poorly built SC can mean very expensive rebuilds.

Take your time and choose wisely. This is not a purchase you want to regret.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Registered

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...Excel-92145986

This is the Scarab that I was talking about. The owner is supposed to be emailing me some more pictures. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fountain38SC
No matter what you buy or who is selling it, get a survey and include the motors. Make sure the surveyor is reputable.

The scarab if everything is right might be a good boat. You're asking a lot from the drives. Who build the motors? A poorly built SC can mean very expensive rebuilds.

Take your time and choose wisely. This is not a purchase you want to regret.
How much does a surveyor cost and how do I find a reputable one?
Old 05-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Registered

I think it's a great deal if all is ok. make sure to have it surveyed. I wish I could have found that deal a year ago. good luck
Old 05-20-2008, 07:40 PM

I would have Ed Cozzi come up and look at it- he's worth the few extra bucks to have him travel. The Scarab looks like a steal to me- documentation would be very important though. If the guy has a folder full of recent receipts and the names & phone numbers of the guys who did the work, tha puts this deal much further ahead.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Registered

If you wan't to by a hell of a boat for that money look at GSAAUCTIONS.GOV there is two 1997 - 42' fountains that will be around that money. I have bought boats from them before I have always done well. If you don't buy one of these keep watching. I would by one of those boats in a heartbeat. Fly down there and check them out or have someone that lives there check them for you before you go. There are a lot of people on this web site that live there that wan't to make a quick $100.00 to check them out and tell you about them. If you have the money you will never find a sweeter deal.

Quick Reply: New guy here who needs some advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.