Engine Alarms - Assistance Needed >

Engine Alarms - Assistance Needed

Notices

Engine Alarms - Assistance Needed

Old 05-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Alarms - Assistance Needed

Is there anyway to detect what your engine alarms are trying to tell you? I have 496HO's and when I am planing off or coming off plane, I get a constant alarm until such time that I get to cruise or come out of gear, respectively. The obvious investigation here is fluids however, they all look fine. Suggestions?
Old 05-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fluid levels would be my first instinct also. This happened to us also coming onto plane with 525's. As it turned out one of the drive oil resivoirs was low. Not sure if there is such a thing as too full though and the sensors detecting it? Do you by chance have a scan tool? That might pinpoint the problem.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Registered

Thanks...gonna go down to the dock and check them all again while she is cold. Interesting that you talk about drive oil resevoirs being too full. I had an alarm last weekend and that was it - filled them and that took care of it thru a poker run.

I don't have a scan tool...need to get one.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 511 Posts

Shawn, do you have fresh water flush fittings on the boat? They good be gummed up with sand and or crap, restricting waterflow.
Do you have water pressure gauges? How did the temps look?

See if you can figure out which side is doing it but just firing up one engine at a time, and "try to bring it up on plane."

That's about all you can do without a Rinda.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Shawn, do you have fresh water flush fittings on the boat? They good be gummed up with sand and or crap, restricting waterflow.
Do you have water pressure gauges? How did the temps look?

See if you can figure out which side is doing it but just firing up one engine at a time, and "try to bring it up on plane."

That's about all you can do without a Rinda.
I just posted a thread regarding the fresh water issue. my pressure is way too high on one engine. If you get a chance check out the post titled "Need help regarding 496 high water pressure". Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Registered

So...went out this morning, checked while cold and all fluids were fine. Started her and idled her for about 10 minutes and fine. Rode for about 15 minutes, at various speeds including WOT. As soon as she came off plane, she started beeping - it was constant for several minutes. Once I docked her and left her running, it eventually stopped. After about 3-4 minutes of idle at the dock, it came back on for about a minute and stopped for good.

Brian - interesting that you ask...you may be onto something. I do have fresh water fittings. The tubes are 1/2 - 3/4 full and they have a shade of brown to them. How do I clear these? Also, I wanted to ask...it seems the alarms would work per motor. If indeed they work per motor, then it is my port side motor as the alarm stopped when I shut this one off. This is as far as I have gotten...

In addition, the starboard engine has a lower water pressure than the other. There was already a slight difference in the reading when I took the boat new however, it now seems worse. Running at 3500 RPM;
Port: 14 PSI
Starboard: 9 PSI
Even at WOT, this stays relative (about 20 and 14 respectively)

Harper - another piece of interesting info. Yesterday, I noticed my bilge had quite a bit of water in it. I drained it last night and checked this morning and it was the same. After my ride this morning, it was the same. However, I read your post and am wondering if I may have the same problem as you with the drain valve opening? I also have good flow from the tail pipes.

Last edited by Ca$hed Out; 05-25-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm wondering if it is a water pressure issue. Low water pressure will set of an alarm. I used to get an alarm while flushing my HO's at the old marina if too many other folks were using the hoses at the same time. Have you changed out your impellors this year?

You should have a separate alarm for each motor.

Last edited by Macklin; 05-25-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Registered

Hey Macklin...thx. No, I didn't change them this year - I only had about 28 hrs on the boat last summer...more or less stopped using it in Aug as Lisa was quite pregnant. I feel like it is a water pressure issue -especially when the bilge filled yesterday.

Last edited by Ca$hed Out; 05-25-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The bilge filled? That sounds like one of your drain cocks might be partially stuck open. Try popping the air release on both motors to make sure they are closed.

You are right, 28 hours doesn't warrant replacement. But if you sucked up some sand...you never know.

Good luck.

Last edited by Macklin; 05-25-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 511 Posts

I'm willing to bet you have something wrong with the either the plumbing on the motor with low water pressure, or the SWP impeller has started to let go, and has compromised the seal between the water pump and the cap plate.

Either that, or your fresh water flush fitting is gummed up with sand/gunk. You will probably have to follow those hoses down to the T-fitting, and take the T-fitting apart. You could try hooking up a water hose and running on the hose, but if something is wrong with the SWP, you risk mulching up the impeller if you don't get enough water to it.

I'd come down and look at it with you tomorrow, but I have to be in Baltimore on Tuesday, and that's a little too much windshield time especially on the holiday weekend.

Quick Reply: Engine Alarms - Assistance Needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.