Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Expensive day today! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/187482-expensive-day-today.html)

WILDMAN 05-25-2008 10:13 PM

Expensive day today!

Well we went on an 80 mile run today, but it took a loonngg time! We put in at Palatka on the St. Johns River here in central Fl. and were heading down to Silver Glen Springs in my new 30ft Liberator. We ran about 4 miles at 90 mph when we stopped at the local sandbar. After coming off plane, the RH motor would'nt push. We trim up the motors and my brand new LH cleaver is gone! I tightened the hell out of it with a breaker bar and block of wood, but it seemed to spin on very easy. I used a new lock nut too.
Anyway, my friend was with us on a 24 Skater with labbed 4 blade cleavers. We agreed to go back to his house, borrow his props, and he'd ride with us. An hour later we were on our way. After 25 miles running hard, we came off plane for a beer break. Well, guess what! Lost the LH prop AGAIN! Well now I'm up to about $2300 in props.
We idled the last 4 miles to the Glen and met up with our friends. My friend Mark says to take his new supercharged seadoo the 9 miles to his house and get one of his props out of his garage. Lake George was 2-3ft so It took me a while to get there. On the way back with the prop, I ran about 1000 ft off the shoreline to stay near the weed line where it's not so rough. I get back [almost] to the houseboat where my boat is, and the damned water cops stop me and give me a ticket for not idling in a manatee zone. I guess it extends 1500 ft from shore! I told him I was trying to get back to my boat in one piece. He did'nt care! He asks for the registration. I said "I don't know where it is" He says to look in the glove box. I pull out some yellow papers and hand them to him. WRONG thing to do! The yellow papers were two more manatee tickets that my friend just got! Oh well, that's another $150 bucks!
We finally got home after double nutting this 3rd prop. Has anyone ever had a new motor with a smaller than normal propshaft? I'm going to use a micrometer Tuesday to see if the shaft is undersize. So much for my whining. Tommorrow's another day, and another chance to lose another prop!!

jeff32 05-25-2008 10:18 PM

wow! Tell us why it happened twice!!!! Cause I don't want this to happen to me!

WILDMAN 05-25-2008 10:24 PM

I've never lost a prop, EVER! I'm thinking there may be a faulty propshaft. The boat and motors are brand new. Both new locknuts spun on too easily. I'm thinking the shaft may be undersize. I f so, maybe Mercury will warrantee at least one of the props. I'll check it out Tuesday.

MOBILEMERCMAN 05-25-2008 10:34 PM

Seems more likely the problem was with the nuts. You shouldn't be able to spin them on by hand.

WILDMAN 05-25-2008 10:48 PM

The nuts we took off the Skater were tight all the way off, yet they spun on easily on the new motor. The first nut was brand new.

WILDMAN 05-26-2008 06:13 PM

You're not gonna believe this, but I took the boat out again today and put my last pair of 32 cleavers on it off another boat. Ran great all day, but as I came off plane coming back to the ramp, the boat started vibrating. I broke a blade completely off at idle speed. Did'nt hit anything eother. Oh well, tack on another $1000!

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...n/100_1182.jpg

stainless 05-26-2008 06:19 PM

Maybe you have some balance issues causing the nut to vibrate off? Maybe a defective propshaft ?

WILDMAN 05-26-2008 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by stainless (Post 2570246)
Maybe you have some balance issues causing the nut to vibrate off? Maybe a defective propshaft ?

Todays deal was on the other motor! I just can't win! We were running on apretty rough lake today, but the wife let me open it up to about 95 mph. She said it was kinda boring because it was such a smooth ride. She says it takes away the excitement. Can't believe my wife would ever say that!

berns29scarab 05-26-2008 08:16 PM

that sucks bro...good luck getting it rectified

pullmytrigger 05-26-2008 10:09 PM

Brutal!!!.......you need to check your bio-dex:(:D