Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone ever work in Saud Arabia (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/187616-anyone-ever-work-saud-arabia.html)

hillbilly24 05-27-2008 11:02 PM

I got home about 6 months ago after spending close to 2 years working in the Middle East, mostly Iraq myself but I spent some time in Kuwait and the UAE. I worked for Halliburton, not on the oil side of things though. I worked on a contract supporting Coalition military operations in the Middle East. I had a great time out there and the money was unreal. As Wobble Said, If your employer recommends that you stay away from an area, listen to them. There are parts of the Middle East that we ARE NOT WELCOME, there are cultural events that are not open to us and they will not simply ask you to leave, it coold turn into a serious PITA for you. also stay away from any questionable behavior, I found it best just not to drink at all while I was over there, the last thing you need is any kind of conflict, your doing or otherwise, and to have alcohol on your breath. If you want to know anything else just PM me and I will send you my phone number.

DollaBill 05-28-2008 08:44 AM

I was offered a job there about a year ago. After looking into it further I turned it down.

Quicksilver 05-28-2008 09:18 AM

If hazard pay type job, you just have to decided if the risk vs reward is ok with you. I know some people who went over and did similar jobs to what they did here in the U.S. but were paid 4-5X+ over, so the money is there.....

BY U BOY 05-28-2008 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by DollaBill (Post 2572035)
I was offered a job there about a year ago. After looking into it further I turned it down.

Why?

BY U BOY 05-28-2008 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by hillbilly24 (Post 2571814)
I got home about 6 months ago after spending close to 2 years working in the Middle East, mostly Iraq myself but I spent some time in Kuwait and the UAE. I worked for Halliburton, not on the oil side of things though. I worked on a contract supporting Coalition military operations in the Middle East. I had a great time out there and the money was unreal. As Wobble Said, If your employer recommends that you stay away from an area, listen to them. There are parts of the Middle East that we ARE NOT WELCOME, there are cultural events that are not open to us and they will not simply ask you to leave, it coold turn into a serious PITA for you. also stay away from any questionable behavior, I found it best just not to drink at all while I was over there, the last thing you need is any kind of conflict, your doing or otherwise, and to have alcohol on your breath. If you want to know anything else just PM me and I will send you my phone number.

Thanks, will do. I will know more in a few weeks,and make my decision then.

DollaBill 05-28-2008 09:40 AM

I thought I would go out of my mind. Everything is diff. Mainly because I have 2 boys that I couldn't be away from for that long. I looked into bringing them over there for the summer and holidays but it's too dangerous. Why take a chance.

I guess in the end I finally decided that I can do just as well here at home without all the problems associated with that job

socalstone 05-28-2008 09:50 AM

I have a friend that did a 1 year contract for Halliburton. I think it paid 100k or more.
That was 2 years ago. it worked well for him- he went back to do it again and is still there now.

I didn't get any impression from him that he was fearing for his life.
It all comes down to if the money is worth it to you.

BY U BOY 05-28-2008 10:00 AM

I have to friends over there now and they like it.Money is 100k+for 9 months work and they said it is pretty safe.They are being put up by the price and he takes care of everything.
They have been over there for 2 months now and just signed another contract for 2 more years. They come back in a few weeks to finish a job in Mexico,and that is when i was thinking of starting with them.
I will get all the details soon.

29scarab 05-28-2008 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by BY U BOY (Post 2572112)
I have to friends over there now and they like it.Money is 100k+for 9 months work and they said it is pretty safe.They are being put up by the price and he takes care of everything.
They have been over there for 2 months now and just signed another contract for 2 more years. They come back in a few weeks to finish a job in Mexico,and that is when i was thinking of starting with them.
I will get all the details soon.

Who are you going to work for or did I miss that? I was in Iraq myself for 7 motnhs. I'm thinking about going back over seas for a while to make some extra coin.

fund razor 05-28-2008 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by 29scarab (Post 2572136)
Who are you going to work for or did I miss that? I was in Iraq myself for 7 motnhs. I'm thinking about going back over seas for a while to make some extra coin.

I remember when you went. Did you succeed in converting the experience into a Cig? :D (And welcome back.)