Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Gas prices vs Boat prices? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/187708-gas-prices-vs-boat-prices.html)

jmeng 05-29-2008 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck (Post 2573040)
I have kept the speed down and the gas is lasting much longer than before.

I call BS, you don't know how to keep the speed down. :D :D

fbrs 05-29-2008 09:05 AM

You know if US average auto fuel economy were 6mpg better, ie nearly the same as european mpg, we wouldnt need to import a single drop of mid east oil.... in nyc all i see is crown vic's, towncars and suburbans doing what? 15mpg? that is a really dumb waste of oil.

getchasum111 05-29-2008 09:14 AM

I bought a second boat this past friday....a single engine 23 foot bowrider....I will be driving the extra 20 miles instead of putting in closer to the house and boating up to the hang out...but will never stop boatting....

jafo 05-29-2008 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by kennyo (Post 2573218)
It might be time for a DEM pres. Then the REP can get the congress back and straighten this sh*t out!

One problem with that. After four years of a Dem pres. and a Dem Congress, it would take the Reps 20 years to straighten out the mess they will make. The present Dem Congress is the proud owner of the lowest approval rating since they've been doing ratings. These are the folks that were elected in for 'change' in '06 that promised to lower your gas costs.

Michael1 05-29-2008 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by jafo (Post 2573341)
One problem with that. After four years of a Dem pres. and a Dem Congress, it would take the Reps 20 years to straighten out the mess they will make. The present Dem Congress is the proud owner of the lowest approval rating since they've been doing ratings. These are the folks that were elected in for 'change' in '06 that promised to lower your gas costs.

The current Democratic presidential candidates are proposing government run health care programs, which would do irreparable damage to the tax rates and the economy. Talk to anyone from a country with nationalized health care about their tax rates. It would kill economic development. No Republican could straighten that out later.

Michael

Steve_H 05-29-2008 11:34 AM

what i did.

sold the cig and bought a used 28' cruiser w/twin small blocks for 20k to get me on the water this summer. last weekend i spent under $200 in gas and covered 90 miles and nothing broke! the ride is comfortable, i can stand up in the cabin, its easy to get in and out of, i can drink a beer and listen to tunes, and use the ac if i want. i still miss the cig but i wont be buying another one unless its a REALLY good deal, however good deals are still going to be tough to find because a lot of people owe more then their boat is worth.

friend of mine owns a brokerage business at loto. same time last year he had 70 boats on his lot. this year he has 120 and the only thing selling are toons and deckboats. he also handles repos for a well known bank that does a lot of boat loans. every few weeks they drop what they will take for the boats.

h2oboy 05-29-2008 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Steve_H (Post 2573411)
what i did.

sold the cig and bought a used 28' cruiser w/twin small blocks for 20k to get me on the water this summer. last weekend i spent under $200 in gas and covered 90 miles and nothing broke! the ride is comfortable, i can stand up in the cabin, its easy to get in and out of, i can drink a beer and listen to tunes, and use the ac if i want. i still miss the cig but i wont be buying another one unless its a REALLY good deal, however good deals are still going to be tough to find because a lot of people owe more then their boat is worth.

friend of mine owns a brokerage business at loto. same time last year he had 70 boats on his lot. this year he has 120 and the only thing selling are toons and deckboats. he also handles repos for a well known bank that does a lot of boat loans. every few weeks they drop what they will take for the boats.

I was wondering who's boat that was that you were on Sunday. We didn't stick around too long though - I got tired of fighting anchors.

rlj676 05-29-2008 11:59 AM

I think more people in the sub $150K boat category will be scaling back.

I was considering everything between 26 foot cats with a single to 32 ft V's with twins. Now, I think I'm better off going with a nicer, newer 26 foot cat with a single. Much more efficient design with only one motor will mean that much more speed per gas $. Combined with cheaper storage, cheaper tow vehicle, etc, it all adds up.

So I think the market that will get hit the most is the less expensive, larger V's. Newer big boats are so expensive gas is just a tiny portion of overall cost, but for the more "avg" the gas will cut into the fun.

Steve H 05-29-2008 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by fbrs (Post 2573281)
You know if US average auto fuel economy were 6mpg better, ie nearly the same as european mpg, we wouldnt need to import a single drop of mid east oil.... in nyc all i see is crown vic's, towncars and suburbans doing what? 15mpg? that is a really dumb waste of oil.

I would be be a happy man if my Avalanche got 15mpg. So far 12mpg city. Don't believe the estimated mpg on the window sticker THER ARE ALL LIES! Luckily it is a lease. So I happily get to toss the keys back in two more years.

kennyo 05-29-2008 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by jafo (Post 2573341)

What I meant was the present potus and dem congress has f*cked it up so bad maybe if we reversed it it would go back to the way it was.