Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How bad can a 4 year old boat look? >

How bad can a 4 year old boat look?

Notices

How bad can a 4 year old boat look?

Old 02-23-2002, 06:00 PM

Default How bad can a 4 year old boat look?

I took a ride down to Baltimore today to look at a 42' Sonic that's advertised on the boat trader.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/5/1859325.htm

This boat was a piece of trash. I don't even know where to begin it looked so bad. It had definately sat near a lot of salt water for a long time with no maintenance. Every piece of metal inside was rusted up, scratches all down the side. The rub rails were trashed from hitting docks. The skegs at the bottom of the drives were eaten away from galvanic corrosion, seats were trashed, interior was trashed.. it looked so bad I didn't even try to lift the hatch to see the engines. All I wanted to do was leave. The boat was a repo and had stickers all over it from a Miami Poker Runs USA event in Y2K.

The ads say $140k...ha!

I would not even offer these guys $50k for the boat...

what a waste of a drive and my morning...

oh well..

- jeff

Old 02-23-2002, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

REPO!!

I wouldn't touch a repo. If the guy didn't have enough money to make the payments, he probably didn't have enough money to care for the thing properly.
Old 02-23-2002, 06:23 PM

well...

evidently the bank thought he was credit worthy enough to make the payments unless he and the dealer lied...

then again it could have been a dealer that went out of business.

- jeff

Old 02-23-2002, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Generaly these people Know they are about to lose whatever it is @ they figuir "beat the chit outa it" But....They are still responsible for any diff brtween what they owe @ what it sells for!! Plus any cost the bank has selling it.
Old 02-23-2002, 08:38 PM
Vonbongo

Unless they file Chapter 7 then they don't owe anything.

Have you looked at the 98 Hustler 388? 90K sounds like a good deal for it.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/5/1859325.htm

Old 02-23-2002, 11:44 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down

I once drove from Grand Rapids to the MAC. bridge ( about 4 hours) to look at a boat that was saposed to show better than average. They were asking $125000 and I thought that was a good price well worth the drive. The boat had been in storage for 3 years ( shrink wraped ). When I got there the boat needs to be painted badly and the wrap had ripped and been repaired many times. When I finally cleared all the spider webs out of the way so that I could get in I found that all the cabinets and seat framing (made of wood) were rotted and needed to be completly redone. The only thing good in the boat was the cabin that looked new and the engines were very clean. I drove back hame all pissed off over a day wasted. Went back and called the dealer the next day and told the guy that I wouldnt give him $60000 . His answer to me was to make an offer. I hung up.
Old 02-24-2002, 12:25 AM

On a good note, sometimes you do get the good deal and a boat that is everything it is supposed to be when arriving for inspection. In my case, last summer I found my boat in Boat Trader and flew from New York to Michigan (because the price and condition was too good to be true) I had to see it for myself, (for a couple hundred on a plane ticket, but what if?) and I was expecting the worst.
Long story short, did a lake trial and bought the boat on the spot. Boat was showroom with 40 hours on it.

Old 02-24-2002, 06:43 AM

well....

last March I drove from Philly to Mackinaw Island to look at a boat. Cash in my pocket. Dealer was reputable (I talked to references), owner was reputable (owned a number of Ferry Boats that serve the Island). Pictures were beautiful. When I arrived I found a boat that looked like a piece of crap. To add insult to injury. I got snowed in for two days.

- jeff