Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OHIO River Accident?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/187869-ohio-river-accident.html)

DollaBill 05-31-2008 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Donman (Post 2575191)
Sad story.

Here comes the lanyard lectures . . .

Bad news.

And yes, here come the lanyard lectures. What is soooo hard to get through peoples heads???!!! Put the dam thing on before you put the boat on plane.

Wild Card 09 05-31-2008 08:31 AM

Using the lanyard would have resulted in a different outcome. Pfds and lanyard would have pretty much solved the issue by now, even if the ejected crew were injured.

However, what gets me about the story, is how come both motors dropped to idle.

God help the two of them.

Queenie 05-31-2008 08:37 AM

This was posted unde the comments section of one of the web news reports:

The guy that owns the boat is Rudy Crandle,a very good friend of mine.One of the best guys you would ever want to know with a big heart.How this could happen to such a good person god will only know.The other gentelmen was Jerry Cooly another great guy.I prayed for both of their saftey but now at 7:41 AM ON SATURDAY and there has been no word of rescue I know the worst is to be expected.Randy gave so much and expected very little in return thats just the way he was,he will be deeply missed by a lot of people.Randy was a very experianced boater who has been navagating the mighty Ohio for many years and has showed me a thing or too.

Chris Sunkin 05-31-2008 08:42 AM

If nothing else, it would have been helpful for rescuers to have a big white boat somewhere near the ejectees.

If a guy doesn't want to wear a lanyard and a jacket, then I have no sympathy for them when they die- they were asking... begging for it. What I have a problem with is after you get tossed, where does your unguided missile continue on to? Who else do you take with you?

If you don't care about you, why should I? But, if you're so self-centered and ignorant that you can't be troubled to take a minor, non-intrusive step to prevent injury or death to someone else, then you have no business owning a boat.

Chris Sunkin 05-31-2008 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Wild Card 09 (Post 2575348)
However, what gets me about the story, is how come both motors dropped to idle.

Not all throttles have friction stays in them. On raceboats where you're working the throttles constantly, you'd want as little friction as possible and enough return spring on the throttles to pull them shut.

txriverrat2001 05-31-2008 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2575360)
If nothing else, it would have been helpful for rescuers to have a big white boat somewhere near the ejectees.

If a guy doesn't want to wear a lanyard and a jacket, then I have no sympathy for them when they die- they were asking... begging for it. What I have a problem with is after you get tossed, where does your unguided missile continue on to? Who else do you take with you?

If you don't care about you, why should I? But, if you're so self-centered and ignorant that you can't be troubled to take a minor, non-intrusive step to prevent injury or death to someone else, then you have no business owning a boat.

I somewhat agree - A kill lanyard is such a minor inconvenience..... and not an issue to others. In the Mirages and STV's we wore two of them - one for the ignition and one for the fuel pump. But for some odd reason people think that because the boat is bigger and less likely to blow over, a lanyard is not necessary. I've hooked a 30ft + boat at a high rate of speed - it sucks. Damn lucky it didn't roll. I wear my lanyard 99% of the time. ALWAYS when on plane. Experiencing a steering failure running 80+ in a small V-bottom will get your attention ...... and cost you a weeks vacation looking for the damn thing....

My prayers go out to the families.

Capt Ross

bouyhunter 05-31-2008 08:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pulled this pic from another site. The boat on the news story blurb video looked awfully similar to this boat.
Not sure if this was the boat but it is supposedly local.

MacGyver 05-31-2008 09:04 AM

Last year I hardly wore mine. I found it inconvenient. This year I got a comfortable wrist strap from Tres Martin Performance and will ALWAYS wear mine. It only takes a few extra seconds to be a responsible boater.

http://www.tresmartinperformance.com...page=out&id=32

ZXXX Donzi 05-31-2008 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2575360)

I agree that wearing a lanyard is good for all and don't like the idea of unguided missles.

On the other hand, I don't know their situation, was not there and am no judging them. I do have sympathy for them. That was a horrible thing to happen to anyone.

BlackJack58 05-31-2008 09:23 AM

Is is fairly easy to add a lanyard/kill switch? My Formula 242 doesn't have one, and though it will probably not see 60mph - I've heard of people getting dumped out at speeds far less than that. :(

I have a healthy paranoia about these situations, and not a lot of experience running at high speeds...