Notices

OHIO River Accident??

Old 05-31-2008, 11:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
Pulled this pic from another site. The boat on the news story blurb video looked awfully similar to this boat.
Not sure if this was the boat but it is supposedly local.

this is the same boat, I just saw this boat last week. happened just a few miles north of me. my prayers are with there families.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:05 AM
Registered

What the hell was that starting thread all about.....now that made no sense
Old 06-01-2008, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had my scarab panther I always wore my lanyard...as already stated they will hook hard with the nose down....but I will admit to not always wearing them when not running hard now...I also will have a few beers on the water...do I deserve to die for my actions...I think not....
Old 06-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Registered

I always wear my vest and kill switches would kill switches have saved them I don't know.But do we know for a fact that the boat did not run over them when it circled or would it have been close enough to swim back to had it not been running.
About 10 years ago when I had my Jet-Ski I hit a wave wrong and got thrown of at about 60.If you have never hit the water a that speed its hard and you will slid for awhile before you go under.I had hit my ankle on the way off and initially thought it was broken.I was able to swim back to the ski using only my hands and crawl up onto it and run back in slow.My ankle was just sprained but I have to wonder had I not had my vest or my kill switch on would this have turned out different.There was nobody around that day I was on my own.
My condolences to the family but everyone needs to start using proper safety equipment
Old 06-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Condolences to the families I am very sorry to hear this.

As long as there are boats people will make bad decisions and their will be deaths and injuries. We all know that both Lanyards and PFD's save lives. If you do not wear them you are taking a big risk. We should all consider that when we are at the helm and when we choose to ride with others.

My main concern now is to learn what happened?

Why did this boat spin out so violently that the bow would go under water?

What happened here with the boat that we can all learn from?
Old 06-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi
I do think that is wrong to sprinkle your "words of wisdom" on situations before you know what happened.
Ditto, nobody knows what happened. Kind of disturbed by Sunkin's comments............. Heavan forbide you ever get in an accident..........
Old 06-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by daredevil
I think they tripped and stuffed it ,it came down hard sideways and hooked - ejected them and thats it.

Just my 2cents.
And yes i am shure because of the facts that they did not wear lineyards or lifevests.
Because i am also pretty shure that nothing would have happend to them exept maybe a few markes.
And that is what buggs me when i hear things happening like that.
That's what so tragic about this. If you look at the news video, the boat looks fine, and the engines are still idling as if nothing happened. Whenever you hear about a death, you at least expect to see some destruction of something. Yet two lives were gone in an instant. It's so easy to get complacent about safety issues and equipment, because nothing bad happens for such long periods of time. In fact, it's human nature.

My sincerest condolences go out to the families.

Michael
Old 06-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BlackJack58
Is is fairly easy to add a lanyard/kill switch? My Formula 242 doesn't have one, and though it will probably not see 60mph - I've heard of people getting dumped out at speeds far less than that.

I have a healthy paranoia about these situations, and not a lot of experience running at high speeds...

YES! http://www.extremecustommarine.com/S...dproduct=10300

It just taps into your ignition wires.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pm203
I thought that was very harsh myself and out of character from Chris.
And I find it being more than typical.

Actually Chris Should be VERY Familiar at that particular place and itīs current ( I know I am years back ) so a lanyard or not does not help much if the persons are unconcius, they will drown there no matter what Iīd say even with lifejackets..unless they are true offshore styles with big neck collars then they Might have a chance.

I was planning a stunt years back with a particular High Schools swim team to cross the might Ohio almost at that same point but found the stunt too risky because the current would take you sofar off that the distance crossing it might take you down..or a snag which I believe was the reason for this accident.

Mighty Ohio IMO is no place for a offshore boat speeding at that particular area.... Itīs like running in Thames...

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 06-02-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by getchasum111
When I had my scarab panther I always wore my lanyard...as already stated they will hook hard with the nose down....but I will admit to not always wearing them when not running hard now...I also will have a few beers on the water...do I deserve to die for my actions...I think not....

So does a brand new 35 Fountain (or any boat in the "right" conditions") at 75mph.... donīt ask how I know but Iīm still writing.

Quick Reply: OHIO River Accident??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.