If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    My Boats:
    1988 Cigarette Bullet
    Lake of the Ozarks, MO 38 MM

Questions about selling a boat

I have read a number of posts about buying/selling a boat and have followed the general consensus on a couple of transactions in the past. I am now in the process of selling my Cig to an out of town buyer, we have agreed on a price and he is in the process of setting up a survey and a mechanical insp. but at this time I don't have anything in writing or any deposit. I just got a call from the surveyor to schedule an appointment and he was planning on doing a sea trial, which was a complete shock to me. I had pretty much been under the impression, that after a deal is made, ie; deposit, contract, inspections etc. that a boat is sold contingent on a sea trial by the buyer, and assuming there were no issues it was a done deal. Now I know in a tough boat selling market you might have to go the extra mile but this? Am I out of line here or not????

Pickwick Lake, USA
    Grin and bear it!

My Boats:
    1990 28 Apache SOLD!, 1990 16 Wahoo DC, 1973 40 Kingscraft
    Mansfield, TX
    I wouldn't let the surveyor drive the boat for insurance purposes. The sea trial I had done the surveyor just went along for the ride............and about shut his pants at 65mph during a rough day on the chesapeake.

Charter Mod Charter Member BLee's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Cigarette - "90MPH" Edition
    E Dock
    I  Voted
    Will it not make it through a sea trial?

I'd run the surveyor all over the lake. The buyer is going to listen to him more than you, so give him a smooth ride. Hell the surveyor might give you a deposit if the boat is nice enough!

My Boats:
    2000 Superboat 24 Step Bottom - Fresh 501
    Tulsa, OK
    If I were paying for a survey long distance (which I did), I would certainly expect that the surveyor would do a sea trial. That is part of what he gets paid for. I would make any deal contingent upon the boat passing a full marine survey & sea trial. As a seller, you should have no problem with that in my opinion. As a buyer, wouldn't you want the same?

Charter Member #94 Charter Member Gordo's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1999 Active Thunder 25' Factory 1 Race Edition
    New Port Richey, FL
    "Questions about selling a boa"t

Buy Low, Sell High

McHenry, Illinois
    The buyer is spending money for the survey so maybe he is serious. It would be nice to get a deposit though. In this market I would go for the boat ride with me driving.

Platinum Member Platinum Member SKRAMER's Avatar
    I would have something in writing and a deposit before a sea trial. The sea trial isn't going to break the deal he should be willing to give you a deposit if he is serious.

VIP Member VIP Member OldSchool's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Cigarette CC and Boston Whaler currently
    Quote Originally Posted by BLee View Post
    Will it not make it through a sea trial?

I'd run the surveyor all over the lake. The buyer is going to listen to him more than you, so give him a smooth ride. Hell the surveyor might give you a deposit if the boat is nice enough!

What he said!!!
    I can't talk about it right now, it's being handled by the Postal Inspector. Those guys don't mess around!

If he's ponying up for a survey, he's probably serious. If you have another buyer, you can press the issue. if not, I'd smile & be accommodating. I'd at least check to see what accreditation the surveyor has. If nothing else, if the guy carries no certifications nor has any high-performance experience, he may do you more harm than good. Plus, I wouldn't want a non-accredited surveyor fooling with my boat.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast