Notices

Life jackets

Old 06-06-2008, 03:51 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bruin_d
It still doesn't make sense (I am not trying to argue with you). Cost of the jackets aside, would I get hassled by someone if I only had the lifeline jackets onboard?
Yes, there are no CG approval id's on Lifelines...(at least not on mine). I have had at least a dozen over the years, including a Parachute version. I have flipped, barrel rolled, and tested them with my life.......(see below for instance)

I honestly have no idea what they cost me....and I don't care.

T2x
Attached Thumbnails Life jackets-my-pictures-109.jpg   Life jackets-my-pictures-110.jpg  

Last edited by T2x; 06-06-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I appreciate all of the options that you guys gave me. I'm sorry for offending the others. Hope you guys all have a fun, safe weekend.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:07 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JnT
We run the black Stearns Trophy series 4185 vests. They are OK. Basicly a nice vest with leg straps.
I believe you can get them with the Mercury logo as well.
I got mine through Boaters World. They will have to call their special order dept to get them.
Black is hot and the collars are somewhat irritating because they are so high on the neck and don't stay folded down at speed. The straps stow nicely.
We wear them running from place to place but they get shucked off quick when we come off plane. Did I mention they are hot?
We only run 60 but always wear the vests on plane.

Jim
Do they float you face up or face down....?

Minor but perhaps important detail when you are unconscious....

Lifelines should be tested and sent back for adjustment if they don't.

T2x
Old 06-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As far as coast guard approval, I don't think A-N fittings are approved either.
Thought I read that somewhere, but it's the internet, and you can't believe anything; and everyone posting is an expert.

Just be glad that someones asking about life vests, instead of how to properly stock the cooler.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by bruin_d
It still doesn't make sense (I am not trying to argue with you). Cost of the jackets aside, would I get hassled by someone if I only had the lifeline jackets onboard?
If you are wearing the lifelines then most likely you won't get hassled. If they are stored then you may as well have the cheap ones.

I have only been stopped once and we were all wearing them (lifelines) so that was not an issue, And they went over every inch of the boat ,the only problem i had was that the flares were out of date
From what i understand the reason they are not CG approved is that it takes to long to put them on. you have a zipper/leg straps/chest strap/ lower D ring. The ones that are approved normally have a couple of straps and thats it. ( they probably figure you not going to put them on until there is already a problem)
When i bought mine i got six, since i usually don't have more then 6 peeps in the boat when i run in the ocean, that way i don't have to decide who's life is worth more.

I can just imagine the lawsuit from someone about how come you gave so and so a lifeline and the other person a cheap one when you know that the lifeline is safer.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by h20 toie
If you are wearing the lifelines then most likely you won't get hassled. If they are stored then you may as well have the cheap ones.

I have only been stopped once and we were all wearing them (lifelines) so that was not an issue, And they went over every inch of the boat ,the only problem i had was that the flares were out of date
From what i understand the reason they are not CG approved is that it takes to long to put them on. you have a zipper/leg straps/chest strap/ lower D ring. The ones that are approved normally have a couple of straps and thats it. ( they probably figure you not going to put them on until there is already a problem)
When i bought mine i got six, since i usually don't have more then 6 peeps in the boat when i run in the ocean, that way i don't have to decide who's life is worth more.

I can just imagine the lawsuit from someone about how come you gave so and so a lifeline and the other person a cheap one when you know that the lifeline is safer.
Thanks.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:51 PM
JnT
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
Do they float you face up or face down....?

Minor but perhaps important detail when you are unconscious....

Lifelines should be tested and sent back for adjustment if they don't.

T2x
It all depends on the individual. Mine will turn me face up but someone with different body proportions it may not.
Its important to try out your jackets while swimming to see.
When I was taking my STCW95 water survival training there were a few guys in the class that a Type 1 offshore PFD would not float face up.
I see your point and agree that Lifelines are the best on the market. Eventually we will buy Lifelines for the "hell runs". If we keep the boat.
Unfortunately due to the fuel costs we don't run fast much. We mostly anchor out and cruise. I run around 40 from place to place.
I feel safe wearing a Stearns PFD on the lake and take pride that I make all my passengers ,including the wife and our dog wear PFD's while on plane at the lake.
In the winter when the water temp is way down we wear fishing vests at all times on the water. We run the fish boat year round. Hypothermia is a b**ch
I totally respect your opinion and accept it as fact on fast boats.
Jim

Last edited by JnT; 06-06-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Ratickle
My personal preference is to go one of three ways.

1. If you can afford Lifeline, go for them. Remember they are not USCG approved so you must have backups on board.

2. Buy whatever 100mph vest you like the best in your price range and buy the legstraps from Mustang, (or make your own with 100mph straps and buckles), and you are almost as good as Lifelines.

3. Stearns Trophy series, (and probably some others), are USCG approved, come in about three colors, have neck flotation and leg straps, and are only about $60 from most stores, or around $35 on EBAY most of the time.

The key for me is to make sure you have at least three 1 1/2" straps and leg straps of some kind. The upright collar is nice in case you're knocked out.
Does Mustang have leg straps for the suspenders? If so I'll have to get them.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
Does Mustang have leg straps for the suspenders? If so I'll have to get them.
Mustang has seperate leg straps that fit all of their inflatables, but I'm not sure on their other designs. Call them or email them. Most rescue teams use Mustang vests because of their design and safety features. Their high-end vest do float you face up if adjusted correctly. I believe the Coast Guard rescue teams use Mustang Type1 rescue vests (not positive).
Old 06-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Thanks. One of the reasons we have the Mustangs is because the coast guard use them. They also have the heaviest duty straps I saw on suspenders.

Quick Reply: Life jackets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.