Notices

Life jackets

Old 06-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This was in an old thread from 2002. As far as I know the Lifelines are still not "legal" even though they are the best.

I was out in San Diego Bay yesterday and got a ride in my first Cat, actually two of them. The driver went to close to a tanker and got pulled over by the coast guard. There were five of us and he pulled out two junky ski vests and two of those crappy orange things. The fifth one was a lifeline jacket in in a bag and the Coast Gaurd gave him a ticket. Said the LifeLine is not certified. I always wear mine and same with my passenger, but now do I have to carry some piece of **** just to keep them happy? Is it safe to assume that with helmets, five point harnesss, canopy and Lifeline jackets on they would not even ask?
Old 06-06-2008, 05:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lifelines are not USCG approved because they're not production vests. Getting certification on something is time consuming and difficult- not to mention expensive. Once certified, you CANNOT make changes without prior approval or you lose certification. Lifelines are constructed to order.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SRP and Lifeline
Old 06-07-2008, 08:34 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I carry 2 mustangs and 4 type 1's. If I have more than that out with me I throw in a duffel bag of cheapies to show the water cops
Old 06-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
Thanks. One of the reasons we have the Mustangs is because the coast guard use them. They also have the heaviest duty straps I saw on suspenders.
I carry a couple Lifelines, several Mustangs, and a bag of "cheapos" to satisfy the water patrol/CG. No substitute for Lifelines but I do understand the original post. Just depends on the application.....some of these board members will bust your nads for even THINKING of anything less than Lifelines which I disagree with.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:45 PM
RHC
Registered

Originally Posted by Brent Medley
I carry a couple Lifelines, several Mustangs, and a bag of "cheapos" to satisfy the water patrol/CG. No substitute for Lifelines but I do understand the original post. Just depends on the application.....some of these board members will bust your nads for even THINKING of anything less than Lifelines which I disagree with.
Thats the differance between a Board member and a Boater!!
Old 06-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Lifelines are not USCG approved because they're not production vests. Getting certification on something is time consuming and difficult- not to mention expensive. Once certified, you CANNOT make changes without prior approval or you lose certification. Lifelines are constructed to order.
My guess is product liability goes through the roof once you get certification. Let one poor sole die or become disabled in your "USCG" vest and the business is done. Non-cert, "racing use only" is a liability shield.

I wouldn't doubt USCG approval is like DOT/Snell approval for helmets (and a lot of other stuff). You submit your design/patent, some independent testing and certification that your product meets CFR XXX.YYY standards for product XYZ(or Snell BS regs), and some guberment lacky reviews the paperwork and signs a letter saying you can now add the approprate label. And in the case of Snell, payment instructions on where to send the royalty for each and every unit you sell with "their" approval.

And as for AN fittings, it's not the fittings so much as the hoses. Certain sections of USCG call for a particular rating on hoses (A1, B2, etc.). Within those sections, the use of a metal hose negates the need for a visible rating. So when you convert your rubber A1 fuel lines, or your steel hard line, to braided teflon, those items are not in USCG compliance.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratickle
That's the Trophy Series. It comes in orange, black and bayberry I think. On Ebay they're about $35.
Nope...this one's a little different from the Trophy Series. The collar doesn't come up as high. That looks like it would get annoying really fast.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan8886
Nope...this one's a little different from the Trophy Series. The collar doesn't come up as high. That looks like it would get annoying really fast.
There must be more than one. Mine shows the 4185 model is the Trophy. The collar is high.

Quick Reply: Life jackets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.