Boat Buying Plan and Etiquette >

Boat Buying Plan and Etiquette

Notices

Boat Buying Plan and Etiquette

Old 06-18-2008, 04:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Boat Buying Plan and Etiquette

I see so many complaints from buyers and sellers. I havent been able to find a post on this topic. Not currently in market but i like looking and know what i want as my next boat. i have my plan but not sure it would be proper. Figuring none of theese boats would be close enough to just go see at a moments notice.

1. Constantly looking on here and in adds trying to get better informed about the model boat i want.

2. Choose a few from adds and discussions that i feel fit what i want and are in my price range.

3. Contact Seller to ask questions and Inform of your intrests

4. Have someone from here maybe drop by take a peek give thier oppinon on the boat. ???

5. Have the boat Surveyed.

6. After making a choice if possible go look at boat in person and finalize the deal.

Would it be ok to be doing this with more then one boat at a time to have choices and pick the best possible one if you have that option. At what point in all this do you feel a deposit is required. I would like to hear every ones input on this from both perspectives. I feel this may bring to light alot of things and maybe educate all involved. I for one do not want my time wasted nor do i feel any other person does.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Registered

Ok i see every one on here complaining about how this buyer acted or how that seller acted but there has not been one post to this. Is everyone affraid to give an oppinon on the matter but so ready to talk trash when some is actually not doing what they feel is right.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Steve_H

Huh?

search all the websites you can think of for the right boat. ask the seller every question you can think of that would kill the deal or devalue the boat and make your offer accordingly. ask an oso brother to check it out for you if its far away. if it checks out, GO LOOK AT IT YOURSELF and try and schedule a survey while you are there if possible or the day after you arrive in case you dont want it you can cancel the survey without putting the surveyor in a bind. adjust your offer depending on what the surveyor finds or ask the seller to fix it. if needed, have your financing ready ahead of time. if you and the seller can agree on a price, buy it on the spot. cash talks!

as far as doing this with more then one boat at a time, i think you would go thru too much money in travel expenses for it to be worth while.

personally what i do is search daily for the exact boat i want ie top gun and save the adds in my favorites folder along with the asking price (you can change the text in the link to whatever you want and not lose the link)

example: 93' gun trailer 500 hps bravos posted may08 65k

this is usefull to see how long its been on the market and if the seller is lowering the price. meaning, does he really want to sell it or is it an "everything is for sale for the right price situation"

after several weeks, sometimes months when i think i have found every possible top gun on the market and i have narrowed down which one is the best value i try and make a deal.

did i answer your question?

Old 06-18-2008, 08:37 PM
Steve_H

one other thing. this is a tried and true method. i have bought and sold 6 boats in the past 8 years and LOST money on every god damm one of them. not really. lost alot on the first one and have mostly broke even on the rest but you cant put a price on an addiction. its a sickness i tell yaa!

you too can be a member of BBO (boat buyers anonymous)

just send a check or money order to:

BBO
525 broken bravo st.
Tree Stump, Mo.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I just ended my shopping and finally bought. Every boat went differently until I was serious enough that I was willing to talk about money. During every deal the final is ALWAYS contingent on a survey and or leakdown test. I did pay for three surveys. 1st. found the boat needed A LOT more work then anyone expected(seller hadn't seen the boat in 4 years). Didn't buy because the boat needed too much work. 2nd. the value from the survey didn't support the sale and the seller was firm on his price. 3rd. Finally it all worked out. I'm happy with my purchase and the seller is happy he's boatless. I spent a ton on surveys and even some travel after flying to see one, and I can't say that I would do it any differently. FYI. I was only interested in the ones I felt the seller was being honest. A seller that didn't try to over sell his boat. A seller who was willing to point out it's flaws. Brokers are full of S^%t. Everyone I talked to and looked at gave me a line of crap that this is the deal of the century and the boat is clean, in great condition. I wish I could afford a newer boat that may be flawless, but in my budget I was expecting something wrong. All I wanted was someone to be honest and tell me what the flaws are. Apparently my definition of clean and all brokers I talked to sure is different. OOps... I did have one good broker. Art at Bay Harbor Marina in Bay City, Mi. Good guy, honest. My suggestion to anyone looking today... be aware of someone who is over selling what they have and move on. Unless you have the time and money to check it out for yourself before you talk about price. Someone who is overselling is also high on price.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So what did you buy? Pictures?
Old 06-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by superwrench0166
I see so many complaints from buyers and sellers. I havent been able to find a post on this topic. Not currently in market but i like looking and know what i want as my next boat. i have my plan but not sure it would be proper. Figuring none of theese boats would be close enough to just go see at a moments notice.

1. Constantly looking on here and in adds trying to get better informed about the model boat i want.

2. Choose a few from adds and discussions that i feel fit what i want and are in my price range.

3. Contact Seller to ask questions and Inform of your intrests

4. Have someone from here maybe drop by take a peek give thier oppinon on the boat. ???

5. Have the boat Surveyed.

6. After making a choice if possible go look at boat in person and finalize the deal.

Would it be ok to be doing this with more then one boat at a time to have choices and pick the best possible one if you have that option. At what point in all this do you feel a deposit is required. I would like to hear every ones input on this from both perspectives. I feel this may bring to light alot of things and maybe educate all involved. I for one do not want my time wasted nor do i feel any other person does.
Thats looks like decent etiquete to me, but who is anybody to tell you its wrong. I didn't see where make an offer fited into your list. I would put it right after #3. I like to agree on a number up front so as to not waist any of the seller's time or mine. But then again you probobly look at boats in your budget. I tend to look at boats that are slightly higher than my budget and hope they bite on a low offer that fits in my budget One of the first questions I ask is how low are you willing to sell this thing for? If its out of my budget then there is no need for an hour long conversation about the boat. My buyer used that on me and I used it on my next boat. You'd be suprised what people will say, but sometimes thats what it takes to move it fast. Everybody has a low number. I usually see people drop 10% immediately......and sometimes even more after a survey turns up something.........there's always something. Good luck.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Registered

I really like what every one has been saying finnaly someone thats is not affraid to say what they feel. I dont have the dollars to buy the high dollar boats that some on here have. I want to just enjoy some of the same things on a smaller scale. I feel the bigest dream would be to experience what some of the florida power boat videos show. To be able to take a big deep v or open cat out in open water run 80 to tripple digits. just stretch it out. enjoy a nice day of sunshine. I feel that has got to be an ultimate rush. Unfortunatley i dont think i will get that pleasure. I just want a nicer lake boat. that could handle some bigger stuff if i took it in open water. I just want to be sure i dont take someones time up needlessley when that time comes to move up. I have used this site and ones like it to get better educated. I though this thread could not only help me but alot of others also. thankyou for everyone that has posted.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Registered

The way I look at it is that people who buy a used boat as they would a car (look it over, quick test drive, here's the check, etc.) usually get screwed in the end. The ones who buy a boat as they would a house (formal inspection by a qualified person, negotiation, etc.) usually get what they expected and there are no surprises.

With such a large expense, due diligence prior to purchase is key. Since it's your money, you should gather as much information as possible about the boat prior to purchase until you are comfortable enough to purchase the boat.