If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    My Boats:
    Boyne City, Mi.

Anyone ever install a quick oil change system?

My last boat had the type that had a rubber hose running from the bottom of the oil pan to the drain plug in the hull. I loved it and would like to install it on this boat.
    My question is where can I buy them?
    My fear is drilling 2 more holes to put the necessary drain plugs in. Seems pretty straight forward but there is fear of drilling a hole in my boat. lol.

Forum Regulator VIP Member Sydwayz's Avatar
    My Boats:
    37' Active Thunder AVH; 17' Speedliner Cat OB
    Someone in the Baja forum did this sometime back.

A couple things...

Mercury sells two kits to do this. There are two different threads that your oil pan can be and you need to figure this out before/as you order. You can do a little research with your local Merc shop, or should be able to do it. I think they are about $65 bucks each.

You do not have to permanently marry the oil drain hose end(s) to the bilge plugs. I keep my oil drain tubes pinned up near the oil filters to I can keep an eye on them. When it comes time to drain the oil, I have a coat hanger that I straightened out, and fish it into the bilge toward the front of the engine compartment, manually hook it to the oil drain tube(s), and pull them out the back. Then reverse the process when finished.

I find that leaving the hoses on the bilge "floor" all the time allows more "stuff" to accumulate down there and stay dirty. They also restrict flow out of your bilge plug(s) if you flush/wash your bilge a lot.

If you have a twin engine boat, with a center stringer, your builder should have installed TWO drain plugs on either side of the main stringer. I have seen SOME builders notch the back of the center stringer, and install only one bilge drain in/under this notch. IF your boat is like the latter, you will probably want to install two more bilge drains and marry them to the new drain plugs. Otherwise, it will be very difficult to extend the oil drain hoses out the bilge plug hole if it needs to go around an obstruction (the center stringer).
    Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-09-2008 at 10:06 AM.

VIP Member VIP Member ciaoderhead's Avatar
    My Boats:
    39' Cig Top Fish, '04 Gladiator, MTI sold, Pioneer, Cig's sold:(
    Richmond - Ophelia, Va

Charter Member #1171 Charter Member obnoxus's Avatar
    My Boats:
    New Lenox , Il
    How about the K/E preluber with the oil changer?

Platinum Member Platinum Member seafordguy's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Cigarette - Cafe Racer
    Seaford, VA
    I was able to get under my engines and put in fittings that I simply connected to a drain hose. I then ran them up and zip tied them to the dipstick - when I need to change the oil, I heat the engines up, snip the zip ties, hook a drill-pump up and let it rip....

I might try to put a more permanent system with a dedicated pump over the winter but this is more than adequate to change it once or twice a year.