Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone ever install a quick oil change system? >

Anyone ever install a quick oil change system?

Notices

Anyone ever install a quick oil change system?

Old 06-09-2008, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever install a quick oil change system?

My last boat had the type that had a rubber hose running from the bottom of the oil pan to the drain plug in the hull. I loved it and would like to install it on this boat.
My question is where can I buy them?
My fear is drilling 2 more holes to put the necessary drain plugs in. Seems pretty straight forward but there is fear of drilling a hole in my boat. lol.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Someone in the Baja forum did this sometime back.

A couple things...

Mercury sells two kits to do this. There are two different threads that your oil pan can be and you need to figure this out before/as you order. You can do a little research with your local Merc shop, or www.bammarine.com should be able to do it. I think they are about $65 bucks each.

You do not have to permanently marry the oil drain hose end(s) to the bilge plugs. I keep my oil drain tubes pinned up near the oil filters to I can keep an eye on them. When it comes time to drain the oil, I have a coat hanger that I straightened out, and fish it into the bilge toward the front of the engine compartment, manually hook it to the oil drain tube(s), and pull them out the back. Then reverse the process when finished.

I find that leaving the hoses on the bilge "floor" all the time allows more "stuff" to accumulate down there and stay dirty. They also restrict flow out of your bilge plug(s) if you flush/wash your bilge a lot.

If you have a twin engine boat, with a center stringer, your builder should have installed TWO drain plugs on either side of the main stringer. I have seen SOME builders notch the back of the center stringer, and install only one bilge drain in/under this notch. IF your boat is like the latter, you will probably want to install two more bilge drains and marry them to the new drain plugs. Otherwise, it will be very difficult to extend the oil drain hoses out the bilge plug hole if it needs to go around an obstruction (the center stringer).

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-09-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.hardin-marine.com/SearchR...oryID~180.aspx
Old 06-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

How about the K/E preluber with the oil changer?
Old 06-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I was able to get under my engines and put in fittings that I simply connected to a drain hose. I then ran them up and zip tied them to the dipstick - when I need to change the oil, I heat the engines up, snip the zip ties, hook a drill-pump up and let it rip....

I might try to put a more permanent system with a dedicated pump over the winter but this is more than adequate to change it once or twice a year.