Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Mercury 1075, 850 and 1200 Pulley Issues....And the Solution (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/188563-mercury-1075-850-1200-pulley-issues-solution.html)

Double R Performance 06-09-2008 03:20 PM

Mercury 1075, 850 and 1200 Pulley Issues....And the Solution

3 Attachment(s)
Looking after several Mercury 1075 and 850 boats on a full-time basis, we can say from experience that they are the best running, most reliable BIG power to ever go into a boat. That being said, there is a weak link: the pulleys. They sometimes fail. Have any board members ever had pulley issues?

We have created stronger pulleys that eliminate the issue on Merc 850. 1075's and 1200's and make the most reliable engines ever more reliable. We are ready to ship and they are extremely reasonable as preventative maintenence. Only $1250 per engine and ready to ship in blue or silver to match your engine.

705 487 7575

Whipple Charged 06-09-2008 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Double R Performance (Post 2584766)
Looking after several Mercury 1075 and 850 boats on a full-time basis, we can say from experience that they are the best running, most reliable BIG power to ever go into a boat. That being said, there is a weak link: the pulleys. They sometimes fail. Have any board members ever had pulley issues?

We have created stronger pulleys that eliminate the issue on Merc 850. 1075's and 1200's and make the most reliable engines ever more reliable. We are ready to ship and they are extremely reasonable as preventative maintenence. Only $1250 per engine and ready to ship in blue or silver to match your engine.

705 487 7575

Raymond,

I've seen this many times. There's also been numerous issues with the spring loaded tesnsioners. The original motors had our heavy duty billet tensioners, but I think because of cost, they went with a cheaper Gates unit. Many of the race teams have installed our billet tensioner to rid of that issue.

Then, some have also had the issue with drive snouts failing, which we also have a fix for.

Pulley's look great!

Double R Performance 06-11-2008 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by 500drvr (Post 2585910)
What exactly are the failures you've seen and how do your pulleys differ??

The pulley bearings fail due to an overhung load. The original pulleys have two smaller 6203 bearings which only come half way through the pulley. This causes the belt which rides close to the outer edge to put tremendous stress on the outermost bearing.

We use three larger 6303 bearings, evening out the load distribution on the bearings. The kit includes one upper idler pulley and shaft, and two lower idler pulleys and shafts.

wrinkleface 06-11-2008 08:15 AM

U guys gunna cum & do Boyne Thunder or not? Fess up Peter!!! My Buddy The "ICEMAN" is in!!!!:party-smiley-004:

hammer01 06-11-2008 09:39 AM

Raymond, congrats on finding a great fix for a problem!! I hate to sound like bad gas but if this is truly such an issue with these motors that are an awesome addition to the Mercury lineup, why in the hxxx doesn't Mercury make this fix prior to customers paying the outlandish prices that they are charging for these motors??? Just curious because I know a lot of people love the turn-key aspect of these motors but with 50-75 hr rebuilds at $40-$50k and now pulleys that are not able to hold up to the awesome technology that they have created, come on!!!!!!! Once again, kudos to Mercury but let's get it right from the get-go!!!!!

Double R Performance 06-11-2008 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by hammer01 (Post 2586830)
Raymond, congrats on finding a great fix for a problem!! I hate to sound like bad gas but if this is truly such an issue with these motors that are an awesome addition to the Mercury lineup, why in the hxxx doesn't Mercury make this fix prior to customers paying the outlandish prices that they are charging for these motors??? Just curious because I know a lot of people love the turn-key aspect of these motors but with 50-75 hr rebuilds at $40-$50k and now pulleys that are not able to hold up to the awesome technology that they have created, come on!!!!!!! Once again, kudos to Mercury but let's get it right from the get-go!!!!!

Hammer,

I have no problem with what Mercury is doing. Nothing is perfect. It is not like the majority of engines are having pulley failures. It was just the weakest link. There always has to be one. Also, we are getting 100hrs out of 1075's almost every time. Retail for a rebuild is $22,800 and comes with a REAL warranty, backed by a multi-billion dollar company. As far as big bucks go, don't forget that the drives and transom assemblies cost less in a package when you are building a Mercury boat and that helps even out the pricing.

Double R Performance 06-11-2008 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by wrinkleface (Post 2586782)
U guys gunna cum & do Boyne Thunder or not? Fess up Peter!!! My Buddy The "ICEMAN" is in!!!!:party-smiley-004:

Tracy,

I want to so bad. I know Bob th Builder is coming over too. I don't know about the rest of the Canadian crew. There is a run in Montreal that weekend. That being said, I may come personally. I can't commit until closer to the date. I have to go to Europe a couple days later and I need to decide how much time I can be out of the office. BTW... Tell Preston I rode in Ice Man's sistership on the weekend. Anybody who owns one of those boats is a lucky guy.

Peter

wrinkleface 06-11-2008 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Double R Performance (Post 2587501)
Tracy,

I want to so bad. I know Bob th Builder is coming over too. I don't know about the rest of the Canadian crew. There is a run in Montreal that weekend. That being said, I may come personally. I can't commit until closer to the date. I have to go to Europe a couple days later and I need to decide how much time I can be out of the office. BTW... Tell Preston I rode in Ice Man's sistership on the weekend. Anybody who owns one of those boats is a lucky guy.

Peter

Understand Dude, but keep it mind! Stay in touch, let me know if U can make it over & I can try 2 get U set up w/ a place 2 stay, etc!! will talk 2 Pres in a day or 2!! Tracy

Dirty Bird 06-11-2008 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Double R Performance (Post 2584766)

705 487 7575

Sounds like a nice fix. When are most guys rebuilding? I have about 65 hours on my 1075's. Was wondering when to send in for a rebuild, or what about just doing the tops first? Do you have any time estimate when the pulley's are going out. For ex, is it at 50 h ours, 125 hours, or 200 hours? I was out recently when 42 cig with 875's lost a belt, and problem is, when it happens, you are down. If the pulley's are a weak link, $2500 a pair isn't big bucks, compared to being broken down, and extending your engine life a fair amount.

Double R Performance 06-12-2008 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty Bird (Post 2587874)
Sounds like a nice fix. When are most guys rebuilding? I have about 65 hours on my 1075's. Was wondering when to send in for a rebuild, or what about just doing the tops first? Do you have any time estimate when the pulley's are going out. For ex, is it at 50 h ours, 125 hours, or 200 hours? I was out recently when 42 cig with 875's lost a belt, and problem is, when it happens, you are down. If the pulley's are a weak link, $2500 a pair isn't big bucks, compared to being broken down, and extending your engine life a fair amount.

We have seen pulley failures between 30 and 80 hours. Mercury's program is complete. They do not do partial or top end rebuilds. We send most of our engines in between 80-110 hours. The ones that go in before 100 hours are because of the end of the season and owners wanting fresh motors for the spring. Depending on how hard you run your boat, we recommend doing springs and lifters at around your 65 hour mark to push the 110 hour mark.