Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Stellings extension box question >

Stellings extension box question

Notices

Stellings extension box question

Old 10-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Anyone's FYI,.....I have a pair of USED Stellings extension boxes for sale....with IMCO's HEAVY DUTY inner tramsom plates if anyone here is interested. Buy the extesion boxes for $2500 each and I will include the IMCO Heavy Duty inner transom plates with the deal.

WOW Cord, nice to see on here again. How have you been???
Old 10-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't bother to try and modify the stock inner plate. There is just no the plate can be modified with out butchering it. I ended up using the Stellings inner plate, but I wasn't able to clamp it as tight as I needed to keep the box from slipping. Maybe the IMCO plate will allow you to really crank on the bolts.

Things have been better. Sold the house last summer but got beat out (repeatedly) on it's replacement. Faced with a housing gap we were forced to accept an offer and we moved back in with my mother-inlaw. We finally bought a house and were moving forward with it's closing when I got laid off. The market is so crappy that I'll be off for at least 6 months. You know that you've hit bottom when living with your mother-inlaw isn't so bad.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Sorry to hear that Cord. Hopefully things turn around for you soon.

As far as the box slipping, if I remember right, you made all 3 holes on your box into one elongated slot. That may have had something to do with it.

I have the Merc inner transom plates on mine.

http://www.stellingsmarineproducts.com/home/
Old 10-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
You use your inner transom plate. But, if you run your box all the way up for a high X you need to cut the cross section out of your transom plate.
Any photo's or drawing of this?
Old 10-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
You can also buy the shaft from Everett Performance which allows you to run a straight shaft and keep your yoke.
This is the direction I want to go, I have heard the shaft is around $550??

Anything else that should be replaced on the box with it being used before the install?
Old 10-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Griff
Sorry to hear that Cord. Hopefully things turn around for you soon.

As far as the box slipping, if I remember right, you made all 3 holes on your box into one elongated slot. That may have had something to do with it.

I have the Merc inner transom plates on mine.

http://www.stellingsmarineproducts.com/home/
Crimmonies, it's been so long that I just don't remember. I remember having a custom spacer plate machined, but I'm certain that it had drilled holes. I'm pretty sure that it's the box that came slotted. Fairly certain I didn't have any machine work done on the box.

Now I remember! Stellings offered the boxes in both forms. I believe they started with a slot, but went to drilled holes later on... I think....
Old 10-27-2009, 07:49 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Baja_man
Anything else that should be replaced on the box with it being used before the install?
Well, you'll be forced to use external steering. You can use the IMCO arms and rams. Just be certain the arms are centered on the drive shaft or things will bind. I don't know what you have for a water pickup, but that'll need to be configured too. Originally I found aeration problems, even with a low water pickup so I went to a transom pickup. Problem solved. I'm not familiar with the driveshaft they're speaking of (used the Stellings shaft), but you'll proably be keeping the Stellings carrier bearing. What ever you do, don't disturb that bearing. Mine was removed when I got the box and it's a real btch to realign it. If I remember correctly, I ended up shipping the box back to Stellings so they could realign it.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Registered

I recall IMCO telling me that you want to come up one inch for every four inches of set back.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Originally Posted by aTX427
I recall IMCO telling me that you want to come up one inch for every four inches of set back.
Yep, but Stellings will tell you that they have an inch of rise built into their box, so that rule of thumb doesn't apply.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

The question that Everett and Stellings wasnt sure of was:
If you go to the IMCO or Everett straight shaft, what hole should the Stellings box be in? The middle hole or all the way down (top hole)???

Quick Reply: Stellings extension box question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.