Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Help Kids .... Please (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/188882-help-kids-please.html)

tanner 06-13-2008 03:44 PM

Help Kids .... Please

I have a long story and I will try and keeep it as short as possible...

I have a 5 year old son (who is asleep in my avatar) and he has a friend in school that was diagnosed with brain cancer, She is also 5. They just had there Graduation from daycare and the girl who has deteriorated quite rapidly and was carried across the stage to recieve her diploma, needless to say there was not a dry eye in the auditorium.

My reason for telling you this is I have been talking to the local chapter of "make -a-wish" foundation to not only do fundraiser but offer boat rides for the terminally ill kids. I know all about the Smoke On the Water and the problems they havehad with a lawsuit cause some azz can't drive a boat... but that is not going to deter us from giving back to some kids who don't have a long time left on the earth.

Some sort of poker run and party will be be associated with the event. I am in the very beginning stages of research on this idea. It has hit me very hard knowing that it could just as well have been my son, or yours, and it is just time to give back a little.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks for reading

Todd Tanner

tanner 06-13-2008 03:54 PM

Let me clarify that it is not a fundraiser specifically for the little girl, but more for any kids who may be in the same position throughout the country.

lucky strike 06-13-2008 04:40 PM

My boat will be available... Just let me know where to be with it & when.

DollaBill 06-13-2008 04:52 PM

I participated in a make-a-wish event with the NJPBC last summer. Good cause. Ask Dave P about it.

Shawn D 06-13-2008 04:59 PM

I understand the "hit hard to home" as My 5 year old just Finished kindergarten Last Friday. While I won't be making it to Florida, We will keep her in our prayers and all little ones who have more to deal with than most of us ever did. I almost couldn't finish reading the first post.

GO4BROKE 06-13-2008 07:08 PM

I have wanted to do something like that with make a wish also. The liability is a worry, but perhaps the parents could sign a waiver. The kids certianly deserve anything that can be done to please them.

jbud24 06-14-2008 07:29 PM

The LGPBA did this with their Fall Run Was a great thing

kenvik01 06-15-2008 12:32 AM

Todd,
I participated in 2 PR for Make-A-Wish last year in East TN. The little girl that rode with me had 6 mos. Talk about gut wrenching. Talk to John Johannes in Knoxvile, TN. He is the organizer each year for the TN River Rally. My prayers go out to the little girl and her family. Ken

LubeJobs42 06-15-2008 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by tanner (Post 2589597)
I have a long story and I will try and keeep it as short as possible...

I have a 5 year old son (who is asleep in my avatar) and he has a friend in school that was diagnosed with brain cancer, She is also 5. They just had there Graduation from daycare and the girl who has deteriorated quite rapidly and was carried across the stage to recieve her diploma, needless to say there was not a dry eye in the auditorium.

My reason for telling you this is I have been talking to the local chapter of "make -a-wish" foundation to not only do fundraiser but offer boat rides for the terminally ill kids. I know all about the Smoke On the Water and the problems they havehad with a lawsuit cause some azz can't drive a boat... but that is not going to deter us from giving back to some kids who don't have a long time left on the earth.

Some sort of poker run and party will be be associated with the event. I am in the very beginning stages of research on this idea. It has hit me very hard knowing that it could just as well have been my son, or yours, and it is just time to give back a little.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks for reading

Todd Tanner

Todd,
I know i can commit to at least 5 boats down here. I am haapy to help with wahtever is needed.