Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Trim system just stopped. help plz. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/188891-trim-system-just-stopped-help-plz.html)

PARADOX 06-13-2008 07:42 PM

Trim system just stopped. help plz.

I just adjusted the trim actuators to align the trim readings.

Putting the outdrive down, they started to go down then just stopped. Fuse?/ everything else is working. no trim pump no tab pump. Any ideas?? I need to fix this tonight.

J-Bonz 06-13-2008 08:13 PM

Are you getting 12 volts to the pumps?

J-Bonz 06-13-2008 08:17 PM

sent ya a pm

Shawn D 06-13-2008 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by J-Bonz (Post 2589759)
Are you getting 12 volts to the pumps?

With a meter on DC volts or a test light, check the big wire comming from the battery. Between the battery and the trim pump there should be either a fuse or red button circuit breaker.

On the side of the trim pumps there are solinoid relays. Do they click when the buttom is pushed either way. (Mine did but still no action.) If so then the control side is ok, and there is no main power going to the relays.

I ran my Drives up near a sand bar, later they wouldn't go down. I found the Circuit breaker tripped on the main line.

Now if your relays don't click then the problem is on the control side - Small wire coming from dash. Maybe some thing happened when making your adjustments

Is every thing else OK? radio, lights, starters?? Looking at battery connections or disconnect switch?

Since both trim and tabs are dead, my guess is a something common like a the main feed. you'll have to trace the big wire back to the battery.
hopefully there is some reset button in between.

Unfortunately, I am not familar enough with the location of Formulas Circuit protections. But they do all work similar.

Freeryd 06-13-2008 08:45 PM

I freaked out 1 day on the water when mine quit working! After a 5 min freakout...i noticed the connection had simply come loose!
Same thing for a guy in a formula i came across....has was up on sand with the wind hammering him in farther. Couldn't "get it up", i pulled up next to him and pointed right to the problem...loose connector!
I'm sure you checked those out already but sometimes, we over look the obvious! Hope you get it straightened out man.

J-Bonz 06-13-2008 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by PARADOX (Post 2589733)
I just adjusted the trim actuators to align the trim readings.

Putting the outdrive down, they started to go down then just stopped. Fuse?/ everything else is working. no trim pump no tab pump. Any ideas?? I need to fix this tonight.

Paradox,
Good talking to you. I'm glad you got it figured out. Next time I get down that way I will give ya a ring.
Jr.

PARADOX 06-13-2008 09:14 PM

THanks guys.. problem solved.. Smartcraft issue. Had to disconnect betteries to have the smartcraft reset. seem to work. Will see tommorow how long... ?

MacGyver 06-14-2008 02:11 AM

You had to reboot your boat to get your drives to go down?