Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Accident - boater missing in Sandusky Bay (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/188970-accident-boater-missing-sandusky-bay.html)

BlackJack58 06-17-2008 08:53 AM

Amazing how many of the SR story commenters are ready to lynch Steinle because:

a) He has the bigger, faster more expensive boat...
b) He's more experienced, so he should have taken evasive action to avoid the inexperienced boater...
c) He's a wealthy car dealer
d) He's a guy in his 50's with a 28-year old girlfriend...

Jeesh...are we an endangered species or what? :eek:

runafever 06-17-2008 09:50 AM

I agree. Everyone is quick to assign blame without having the facts. I used to travel through the Sandusky bay at night before I had a close call through no fault of my own and that was all it took for me to put the boat on the lift before dark now. This could have easily been one of us(Tony, Jeff, Greg, Scott, ect). It is a horrible incident that just did not have to happen. It is very sad and I feel for the families.

RAF

BraceYourself 06-17-2008 11:22 AM

Very easily could of been one of us. I no longer have any intention of running at night. Stems from a close call I had last year in the sandusky bay.

five cent worth 06-17-2008 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by BlackJack58 (Post 2592395)
c) He's a wealthy car dealer

Which dealerships where his?

Was at the bay the whole weekend - this put a little buzz kill on the trip. There were some Formula's there this past weekend too - I don't think any that I saw where all white though. :(

runafever 06-17-2008 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by five cent worth (Post 2592735)

Was at the bay the whole weekend - this put a little buzz kill on the trip. There were some Formula's there this past weekend too - I don't think any that I saw where all white though. :(

I don't believe the nature of what he does for a living is a factor here and certainly do not think it is neccessary to associate this incident publicly with his business.

Thank you

RAF:rolleyes:

Racegirl3 06-17-2008 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by five cent worth (Post 2592735)

What do you mean you were up here all weekend? Well damn! Im sure I could have gotten somebody to buy you a beer :D Sorry we missed you

BraceYourself 06-17-2008 04:17 PM

Phil did all the right things after the accident. Attached is a link to the 911 calls. Pretty chilling to hear.

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/arti...ont/795327.txt

THRILLSEEKER 06-17-2008 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by BraceYourself (Post 2592568)
Very easily could of been one of us. I no longer have any intention of running at night. Stems from a close call I had last year in the sandusky bay.

We took the last Jet to PIB via Kelleys last year the Friday evening before the LEOPA run. As I am staring across the lake from the top of the jet I saw an anchor light come on, we passed the light close enough to see the ODNR reflection on the side of the boat. About a hundred yards after the jet passed the light went back off.:( Ive also seen the Coast Guard do this before.

Queenie 06-17-2008 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by THRILLSEEKER (Post 2592911)
We took the last Jet to PIB via Kelleys last year the Friday evening before the LEOPA run. As I am staring across the lake from the top of the jet I saw an anchor light come on, we passed the light close enough to see the ODNR reflection on the side of the boat. About a hundred yards after the jet passed the light went back off.:( Ive also seen the Coast Guard do this before.

Yep, we've seen that on our end of the lake before too! That is just wrong! :angry-smiley-038:

Michael1 06-19-2008 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by BraceYourself (Post 2592910)
Phil did all the right things after the accident. Attached is a link to the 911 calls. Pretty chilling to hear.

Considering that the Sea Ray hit him broadside on the port side, it would appear than the Sea Ray violated the right of way.

Michael