Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Accident - boater missing in Sandusky Bay (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/188970-accident-boater-missing-sandusky-bay.html)

BlackJack58 06-15-2008 09:00 PM

Accident - boater missing in Sandusky Bay

According to reports, there was a collision between a 22-ft Sea ray and a 40-ft. cigarette boat on the bay, about 12:40am Sunday. Boat may have actually been a 41 Formula, but not confirmed for sure.

One man fell from the Sea Ray as a result...hasn't been found yet. According to reports, the larger boat left the scene and proceeded to dock at Venetian Marina.

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/arti...ont/794025.txt

Another example of the dangers of night boating.

J-Bonz 06-15-2008 09:32 PM

Yes, It was a 40 ft formula.............. Very sad.
Jr.

THRILLSEEKER 06-15-2008 09:41 PM

Lots of storries floating around right now..

Im not a fan of boating in that area at night, mainly becase of the law enforcement boats that sit in the middle of the lake with NO FUKING LIGHTS ON!

JCat 38 06-16-2008 01:53 PM

Very Sad

Here's a quote from today's paper:
"The Bayliner was so badly mangled in the crash it nearly sank. Authorities managed to tow it to Battery Park Marine Services, where it was pulled out of the water.

Miller said he saw the cigarette boat at Venetian Marina, and there was a 4-foot-long hole in its side.

Ben's family wants answers. First and foremost, they want to know why the other boat left the scene of the accident."

Just another very good reason not to boat at night!

TexomaPowerboater 06-16-2008 02:38 PM

Mere speculation, but if you hit someone at night and were faced with two choices, which one would you choose????

1) Stay at the scene, try and help with the other boat and risk the safety of your crew and possibly your entire vessel sinking. Or

2) Attempt to safely navigate to the next marina/port where you can call the authorities, get your crew on land safely, and maybe even save your boat from sinking.

I'm going to take the option thats best for the safety of my crew. Just food for thought before anyone blast the driver of the go-fast.

Ms PatriYacht 06-16-2008 02:42 PM

wow another fatality at night, so sad. I was just reading the thread about the NH accident, another night fatality. All I can say if you don't have to, don't boat at night.

From the comments it does not sound like the forumla owner was trying to hide, just take care of his passengers and get the boat back before it sank. It would be hard to take on passengers while your boat was sinking or if you had injured passengers. Plus he called and reported it on his way in.

The comments by the public always bash the "ciggarette boat" even before the story comes out and regardless of who was at fault. This makes me realize just how many people hate us, think we are rich, spoiled, reckless, and drunks:mad:

ALL IN 06-16-2008 03:52 PM

i read on channel 19 news web site the sea ray hit the 41 formula.male is missing and a 23 year old is in critical condition from going threw the windshield the sea ray was leaving a concert in sandusky for bike week the guy in the formula was in a no wake area i know this area and with cedar point lights in the back ground it is real easy to miss a boat.all in all it is very sad and another bad rap for power boats!

Ratickle 06-16-2008 03:53 PM

Damn again.:( If your boat is damaged to the point of sinking or possible fire, you have to get in asap but, don't you make sure everyone else on the other boat is accounted for with life vests etc first or does panic set in and who knows? I also hate night boating. Over here in Lake Michigan, one friend was hit by a boat on autopilot.

Queenruler 06-16-2008 04:15 PM

the body of the young guy was found....near some rocks by Lyman Harbor.

wrinkleface 06-16-2008 04:44 PM

The best 2 all. Tracy