Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New boat owner advice needed on drives... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/189013-new-boat-owner-advice-needed-drives.html)

bigo181979 06-16-2008 12:48 PM

New boat owner advice needed on drives...

Ok I just purchased a new to me 1985 Chris Craft Chris Cat, for those of you who are not familer with the baot it is the same hull as the American Offshore 31', with SSM II drives.

First off I AM A BOATER ON A TIGHT BUDGET!!! I try to do as much as I can on my own.

Here is my problem somewhare along the way the starbord drive was replaced and the boat now has 2 left hand rotating drives so at about 80 I am having some really bad torque steer.

The boat has SSM II's for drives, which I know are hard to find parts for, so what is going to be the most cost effective solution to my problem????

Thanks!!!!

Biggus 06-16-2008 02:39 PM

Konrad Marine has a bolt-on replacement for the SSMII.

It's called the PRS II conversion.

www.konradmarine.com

bigo181979 06-16-2008 04:20 PM

I keep hereing this and that about the X-demension, and that if the drives are shorter or longer that changes it and that changes the attitude if the boat and so on, its got me all confused!!!

Aren't the Konrads Shorter then SSM II's

What would happen if I put on a normal TRS Drive on??? A buddy has a few extra sets!

jryan26 06-16-2008 04:25 PM

If Im not mistaken the speedmaster II has the same upper as a TRS.

bigo181979 06-16-2008 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by jryan26 (Post 2591619)
If Im not mistaken the speedmaster II has the same upper as a TRS.

Thats what I thought...
If that is true, the gears that make it a left or a right rotation, are they in the upper or in the lower???

Biggus 06-16-2008 04:48 PM

The SSM II is about 1" longer (.92") than the TRS. Yes, they do share the same upper and you can install TRS lowers on your SSM II uppers BUT, they MUST be shimmed to the upper. You can not just bolt on a TRS lower, it's got to be shimmed to the upper.

As for the Konrad conversion, the drive is fitted with a spacer kit to get the propshaft height where is needs to be.

Kurt

bigo181979 06-16-2008 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Biggus (Post 2591656)
The SSM II is about 1" longer (.92") than the TRS. Yes, they do share the same upper and you can install TRS lowers on your SSM II uppers BUT, they MUST be shimmed to the upper. You can not just bolt on a TRS lower, it's got to be shimmed to the upper.

As for the Konrad conversion, the drive is fitted with a spacer kit to get the propshaft height where is needs to be.

Kurt

Well thats good to know, right now its not in my buget to put 2 new conrad units on, but I will keep that in mind for later. As far as shimming, where does it need to be shimmed and will putting an upper from a right hand unit with the lower I have (left hand drive)make it spin to the right?

Biggus 06-16-2008 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by bigo181979 (Post 2591647)
Thats what I thought...
If that is true, the gears that make it a left or a right rotation, are they in the upper or in the lower???

The rotation of the drives is determined by gear placement of the lowers.

bigo181979 06-16-2008 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Biggus (Post 2591666)
The rotation of the drives is determined by gear placement of the lowers.

Ok so I will need a different gear set for the lowers then! That answers that part for me! As you can tell I am clueless when it comes to drives!

I guess I better find a new lower or new gear set probably not going to be easy either way!

Ratickle 06-16-2008 05:16 PM

Put the question in the drive forum about changing the rotation on your drives. There are a lot of guys with knowledge of the requirements on the site, it's just a matter of getting them to see your question.