Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   FWK or Audiofn (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/18906-fwk-audiofn.html)

GO4BROKE 02-26-2002 06:21 AM

FWK or Audiofn

Forrest or Jon, I have need of your advice! I bought a pair of Klipsch satellite speakers for my stereo and blew both the woofers after about 20 mins. They both went at the same time, no warning, no distortion, no clipping. They sounded great. I have a Sony STR-DB830 rated at 100w power output in stereo mode and 155w Dynamic power output. Whats this dynamic power output rating?? The speakers are rated for 100w. I have a Klipsch powered sub, so the satellites didn't handle the bass, I had the volume on 6 out of 10, which is very loud, but sounded so good I was considering using these Klipsch quintets as my main speakers. Why did I blow them? The "protect" feature on the reciever activated and I could smell the magic smoke coming from the speakers (nothing seems to work if the magic smoke comes out!) They were hooked up the same as my regular speakers were, and they are working fine. I know you two can help, Thanks! Chris

Fever500 02-26-2002 07:24 AM

Here is a link to the Klipsch forums. You may want to ask them about it too.

Klipsch Website

I am running the Reference 7's and have had zero problems with them.. ohh and I run them VERY loud :)

FWK 02-26-2002 07:41 AM

Go4broke I need the model # as I have Klipsh available to sell. At a guess the satellites are rated for a peak output of 100 watts, which means a continuos power of possibly 50 or 60 watts this will cause the failure. Also most rcvr's have in the set up mode the ability to change the size of the speakers from large to small which will cut the bass going to the sat. speakers. The rcvr may even have the ability to x over at a higher frequency. I hope this helps. Forrest

Audiofn 02-26-2002 08:17 AM

Would you know it if your speakers were bottoming out? If not then that is my guess. I am sure they will take the speakers back ONCE if you did that kind of damage and have purchased all you equipment from one place. I am not familiar with the sony recievers or Klips speakers at all but I can tell you what ya did. You over drove your amp, or the speakers. When that happens the Amp will output DC voltage. This is very bad for the speaker and will cause the voice coil to blow. I had a customer do that the other day and what he did not realize was that even though his amp was rated for 100 watts that it was cappable of putting out as much as 1500 watts for short burst. When he put the small speakers in there and let her rip he blew then instantly. Buying a bigger speaker could be the solution but you may also have to consider a new amp if you want to listen at that volume. Also Forrest point of set up with the large vs. small speaker in the menue is a good one. The crossivers in the units are pitiful at best but they will help you out. Were you listening with a DVD or VCR?

Jon

FWK 02-26-2002 08:36 AM

I forgot the ONCE part. But, if the store knew the set up you have and recommended that model then it is their problem not yours. Hey Jon still waiting for the pic's. Forrest

Audiofn 02-26-2002 08:41 AM

Forrest one is on its way now :D:D the second will fallow

FWK 02-26-2002 08:57 AM

I wish I had the room to do one in our house but I would have to change the walls. I guess I could take out part of the garage. Forrest

Audiofn 02-26-2002 09:05 AM

How about the Horse stalls :D:D

That room is big. We are doing a house next door to it that when the customer saw that room he is now redesigning the basement and digging deeper so that he can put in the floor the way that we want it. :D:D

Jon

GO4BROKE 02-26-2002 07:19 PM

Forrest & Jon, Thanks very much for the info, you guys are always a great help. Klipsch has agreed to ship me new Quintets as soon as I ship the ones I blew. I am still curiouse as to what the "dynamic power output" rating means. Jon, as for the speakers botteming out, I dont know. But the sound quality was perfect up untill the sound stopped. I did have the stereo set for small speakers, and I was playing with the built in EQ, just had it perfect when the magic smoke came out!:eek:
Forrest, what Klipsch do you have for sale? e mail me if you want. These quintets are for my rear channels (and they are rated 100w continiouse, I shouldn't have blown them) I want Klipsch tower speakers for the main speakers, perhaps the reference series.

bn 02-26-2002 07:49 PM

Good job Chris! Always pushing it to the edge! :D Hope you guys figure this one out.