Notices

Can we get Back to BOATS PLEASE!!!

Old 02-26-2002, 11:07 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: WHO CARES

Originally posted by diligaf
IF all we ever did was talk about " BOATING " this would be one boring ass place...

And thats the beauty of it,, if you want to talk about boating, go ahead, if you wanna read the monday morning funny, then go ahead. IF DONT WANNA get " OFFENDED " then stay the hell away from post that are clearly going to OFFEND YOU.

Don't pull that, " then change the channel " stuff on me,,, I'm all to high and mighty, I am going to make it my job to be the POSTING POLICE... You dont have a stick up your ass, you have a telephone pole...
I do not mind the change and I like the dynamics of the board but how is it that it is good when members are insulted? I do not have a stick up my ass thank you very much. If you ever met me you would know that and anyone that has will attest to that fact. I just get very concerned when I see members that I value their input from jumping ship. There are other members that have not posted that they will not come back but have sent out emails. I think it is a shame. If you disagree with me fine but do not try and insult me by saying I have a "telephone pole up my ass" when nothing could be farther from the trueth. Forgive me for trying to suggest that we make this more geared towards what it was ment for. Like I said if I want he funnies I can go to many other places on the internet for that. Nude chicks I got those places saved to. Boating I have always come to the one and only best place for boating that is OSO!! Lately it has gotting WAY off track. Yes this did happen last year and it was a few guys that said hey this is off target and things got back to normal.

Jon
Old 02-26-2002, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jon,

I'm sorry if you misunderstood my post. I believe it would be a travesty to loose even one member. There is a wonderfull mix of intelligent and knowledgable people who contibute excellent content.

I have not given my stance which is, the sheep boning was way across the.
I was not offended however. The post did say warning.....no one should complain....they made the choice to view it. It's as bad a smpker complaining about the cost of health care.

This is not the little rec.boating.power.

We now have around 4200 hundred members. Each with different views, opinions, ethnic backgrounds, socioeconomic backgrounds, different levels of education.

This is a microcausym (sp?) of society. You will not change it....hell it's no different than going to a city council meeting and giving your views that are clear to you and you don't understand why nobody else understands it and puts ashopping center next to your subdivision anyway.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Audio, Dude!
I see where you're coming from and I have to agree with some of what you say, but I can't go 100%.

Maybe I'm getting hung up on this a little too much but I keep reverting to the whole warning issue! I mean, come on people, There's the warning in plain old-fashioned english. If you choose to disregard it, it's nobody's fault but their own.

Secondly, what is so bad about being OT once in a while. Out of all the thousands of threads, how can some of you get so bent out of shape over one or two threads. Hell, sort the threads by views in the last ten days and see what happens. Out of 4000+ members, It's apparant that most of us did have an interest in those threads in question and, in fact, probably laughed their asses off.

I'm going to once again go back to my old adage... The "Boat Dock" analogy. When you have a bunch of friends, much like OSO, hanging around the docks exchanging thoughts, drinks and conversing in friendly small talk there will be all kinds of conversations. Mostly boating related, but some not. Some will be gleaming over someone's engine hatch conversing technically, some will be elsewhere discussing what a nice boat so and so has and others yet will bs about what so and so did last week, or what extraordinary thing happened on the way home from work or even sling a joke or two while sipping on cocktails...And so on and so forth.

Take the OSO party at Monty's for instance. No one can actually tell me that everyone talked exclusively about boats the whole time. It's insane...The conversations were all over the place.

OSO is many different things....1)A library(technical info) 2)A club(a gathering of like-minded people with one thing in common--boats) 3)A Sanctuary(an escape for many people) 4)A Neighborhood of friends

I see it as all that and so much more. We are all animated dedicated boating people--PEOPLE. Being as such, not being robots or programmed, we have the tendancy to move around a little with our thinking and outwardly exchange. It happens....We need to face it...We need to pick and choose what we look at for ourselves. Live and Let Live!!!

If one's the type who leaves the beatuiful and perfectly equipped marina where they may keep their boat because the neighboring slipmate mouths a joke you don't agree with or shows hid buddy a clipping from playboy in your view...then you have deeper issues than the joke or the clipping...that person has a single track mind and shouldn't be in public in the first place. It's safer at home for them...

For someone to give up on this SITE due to a few days of OT threads in the dead of winter, that is not the way. I would hate to loose anyone to something silly, but that's their decision.

Old 02-26-2002, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for some reason my screen locked up........My point is we need to find a way to keep everyone here.

Racial bashing, religiuos, ethnic bashing should never ever be tolerated.

did you read my post about using a symbol???????

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...threadid=18870

This will give anyone the right to open or pass on a post. Pleas read it.

We all could argue forever on this crap.....it's getting old......let's quit arguing and come up with a system that hits some common ground.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:43 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Baja I agree with a lot of what you have to say but put yourself in Tavis's shoes. He is looking through that thread and WHAM what does he see. How about Miss Amy looking through a thread to see herself. That is what I am talking about. These guys are opening up a string to see Jeffreys boat on fire then they keep scanning through and then Wham there they are banging a sheep. Is that something that belongs on this board? I do not think so, with or with out the warning, it insulted Travis. I AM NOT for censorship and I DO NOT mind some off topic stuff. I have been on for a long long time and you have not seen me wine and I have contributed to some of the posts but lately with some of the new features of the board some of the stuff has gone WAY over the top. Again this is my opinion, agree or disagree neither one of us is right in a forum like this.

TannedFat: I am not out to change the world or this board for the worse. I think that some one stepping out and saying hey is this stuff really neccasary may change what people are doing or at leaste have them give their post a second though. We have gotten off track before and then we real ourselves back in. Maybe this is one of those times that we have to do that.

Jon
Old 02-26-2002, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Whoa! No, no, of course not, Audio!

I'm in agreement 1000% on that one. I never meant to include the personal stuff in my aforementioned comments.

The two examples you mentioned were definately out there. I had nothing to do with any one of those and I understand how both Travis and MissAmy would have felt. That was really personal.

I was referring to the rest of the stuff: Anonymous, random, etc...You know!

And just to lighten things up a bit, Take That!!
Old 02-26-2002, 11:52 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Jon...I agree with what you have said. This board has become more boring lately. Too much off topic crap. I come here for boat "talk", much of which I learn from. There is a wealth of knowledge that people like me can learn from, but for some reason, those people have not been posting lately. Probably because most of it is not boat related, its just "chat" type stuff. I differ from Diligaf in that I find boats NOT boring. Work is boring, buying groceries, paying bills, general chores, commmuting to work is BORING. Going out on my boat and reading boat related topics is fun for me. Thats why I spent a bundle of money on a new boat. I would also like to see more factory representation here on the board but I think they stay away for obvious reasons. If we start losing people like Too Old, that will be too bad for us, people like that add alot to this board. I hope Fred sticks around, I for one respect his opinions, it would be a great loss.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:04 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Baja I hear ya man but like I said if you were just looking through that stuff and stumbled across those pictures what would you think? No warning was going to prepair them for that!!!! It is up to the Members of the board to USE THEIR HEADS before they do that stuff.

Indy I agree if I was a Dealer, builder, or a potential advertiser there is no way I would want to post on this board. Do you guys remember what happend to the cohens a while back? They used to give all kinds of help and advice to Superboat owners and potential buyers and now they are gone because some one attacked them. I am sure that others saw that and ran for the hills. Damn shame. For us to be driving any potential advertisement money away from Jeffrey that helps him differ the cost of the board is just not fair.

Jon
Old 02-26-2002, 12:17 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

TeamBaja I did not direct this post at you or point any figures at you. I did use the post about MissAmy picture as a referect to how people have been offended. You guys want to make OSO a place to post raunchy pictures all over the place that is fine but you will find a lot of good people leaving. That would be a shame. You want to sit there and call people names and say they are being big brother or what ever that is fine but know that there are a lot of people that are upset at the direction this board has taken and forgive me if I am interested in getting it back on track.

Jon
Old 02-26-2002, 12:20 PM
diligaf

Default WHO PUT YOU IN CHARGE !!!

What your doing is just as bad.... Who are you to impart your ideas of what is right or wrong on anyone else..... GET OVER YOURSELF

And if you took the time to read the Post regarding vulgarity, you would see that the obvious answer that was given by the " MODERATOR " was that " should you find the content in a post offensive, to click the little button in the bottom right hand corner, to report this post "

There is your answer in black and white.... Nobody elected you to the position of " POSTING POLICE ".

So MR. HIGH AND MIGHTY, if you would like to do your part to " RID THIS SIGHT OF ALL WRONG DOINGS ", do it by keeping your mouth shut and CLICK THE LITTLE BUTTON AT THE BOTTOM RIGHT HAND CORNER OF THE SCREEN...

Last edited by diligaf; 02-26-2002 at 12:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Can we get Back to BOATS PLEASE!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.