Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Gelcoat or Emron (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/18932-gelcoat-emron.html)

tanned fat looks better 02-26-2002 12:12 PM

Gelcoat or Emron

or Imron??? However you spell it.

I'm thinking about repainting my faded red stripe that is about 12" wide.

Sould I use gelcoat or maybe emron??? which is costlier (is that a word)?

Which is better?

Thanks, Bryan

MrCIG 02-26-2002 12:21 PM

I would go with Imron. It's eaiser and will shine alot longer then gell coat. Or use a basecoat clear coat with a urathane clear.

Indy 02-26-2002 12:22 PM

Gel-coat is the first stage of the hull lay-up process. Any manufacturer that uses in-gel graphics sprays it on before any of the lay-up process begins. In your case, you'll be limited to a paint application. That is unless you are having the whole boat gelled, even then, I'm not sure if it can be done. I hear good things about Imron, but others will have to enlighten you on that issue.

Mike J 02-26-2002 01:08 PM

Check into a additive that
can be added to gelcoat called prestex by Rebchem
it is used to smooth out
the surface and cut down
on the sanding time.
It works great on repairs
and recoating and lasts
like 100% Gelcoat.
Mike J.

KCHOTBOAT 02-26-2002 01:24 PM

Brian I sprayed the bottom and back of mine with enamel two years ago. If you know someone with a new garage in their back yard I can help you spray it.

28SS 02-26-2002 01:24 PM

Is the stipe on the side or top?

Audiofn 02-26-2002 01:29 PM

They all seem to have their ups and downs

Gel coat is hard to spray and you have to sand and buff it after you are done. Also you have to make sure you put the proper additives in there to get it to harden. You need more then just the hardener. There is a wax type agent that you have to add and it rises to the top. Maybe Mike J. knows what it is called.

Imron is tough stuff but it seems to me that once you break through it lifts off in sheets.

I am going with a Eurathane base coat clear coat by Spies Heckers (sp) I am getting a good deal on it and the rep said that he is going to try and get me into a downdraft booth if I use his stuff.

Jon

Gordo 02-26-2002 05:49 PM

LMAO !!!!

Rich,
I think Bryan is just bound & determined to be the first to get his boat in the new "Garage Majal" .
He better hurry. I think Chris is bringing the 28 Checkmate over for some "fine tuning" this weekend.

By the way, when you gonna come get that bumper?

Hot Boat 02-26-2002 06:07 PM

The cheapest and easy way to do it is to cover it in vinyl. It would be like a 12" wide pinstripe. You could apply it yourself and cost under a $100 I can send you a color chart and get you anything you might need.

Paul

KCHOTBOAT 02-26-2002 06:17 PM

Re: LMAO !!!!

Originally posted by Gordo
Rich,
I think Bryan is just bound & determined to be the first to get his boat in the new "Garage Majal" .
He better hurry. I think Chris is bringing the 28 Checkmate over for some "fine tuning" this weekend.

By the way, when you gonna come get that bumper?

I have a few parts to paint also. When is the garage warming party?