Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is it smart to buy a boat now? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/189352-smart-buy-boat-now.html)

crb76 06-21-2008 11:32 AM

I guess that depends on if you have a budget or not and how much you are willing to pay to play. It is relative based on the depth of your pockets. I like the market right now when it comes to buying. If I were selling, I would wait until next summer when things should be better.

With regard to gasoline and oil, I believe the bubble will burst by the end of the year. India stopped subsidizing fuel for its citizens a few moths back. China came out this week and said it will no longer subsidies fuel for its citizen after the Olympics. So the two "new major consumers" will become a free market consumer which is a huge step in the right direction. Also, the US will repeal the 30% deregulation for commodities trading as it pertains to oil and other natural resource commodities. That right there is the reason for the 30%+ speculations you see in the oil market. Given current supply and demand economics, Oil should trade around $68 bucks a barrel. Also if you look at the major investment firms they are starting to play the downside of oil. Trends don’t lie!

Those who don’t agree look at your dot com stocks and your south Florida, California, Nevada, and Arizona real-estate. I like natural gas as the next market to spike.

shw-n-go h20 06-21-2008 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by bouyhunter (Post 2597072)
Is it smart to buy a boat now?

It's never smart to buy a boat.
It's an addiction, an obsession, a sickness, a disease, a psychological defect, a wanton disregard of fiscal responsibility, a complete squander of resources, an unproductive use of time and energy, an additional source of worry and concern over natural disasters, a poor investment, a social and ecological abuse.

So, what are you looking at?? And how many ponies under the hatch??:D

X2. if you love boating it doesn't matter how much it cost to go out for the weekend.

PARADOX 06-21-2008 11:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
erol...
Got two choices for you.
Attachment 347928

Attachment 347929

BY U BOY 06-21-2008 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by erol827 (Post 2597080)
I am looking at a 20something that will do at least low 60's for Dad
and wont scare the wife and kids

Whats your budget? I may have the perfect boat for you:D

erol827 06-21-2008 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by bouyhunter (Post 2597092)
OK, so you made it past the first test. You're still looking.
What type of boating do you want to do??
Skiing/tubing?
Cruising?
Wave crushing??
Hitting the local hangouts?
Do you want a head-turner, or just something nice?
Classic lines, or a modern look??

I want to cruise (and get going on ocassion), hit the hangouts and have quiet time with the wife :D whenever we can get a sitter! Classic lines, nice and simple. But the kicker is that I have come close a couple times and backed out due to the fear factor. I have lived on the water all my life and miss boating dearly (my current boat is toast and will not be fixed) but I guess i am just nervous.

TexomaPowerboater 06-21-2008 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by erol827 (Post 2597080)
I am looking at a 20something that will do at least low 60's for Dad
and wont scare the wife and kids

Buy low sell high. If your worried about gas prices ruining boating as we know it then buy something thats going to be worth dropping some light speed water fueled 20000hp engine in 2015:D

http://www.oceanperformance.com/boat...to/0107036.jpg

Almost bought this boat myself......back when he was asking $23K.

I agree with show n go h20. Boating is a part of my lifestyle, without it I'm miserable. Easier to understand if your parents brought you up that way. Maybe if I lived in Miami or off the coast somewhere I might see and get to play with enough boats to not have my own, but thats not the case where I live. I'd be boating right now, but I'm studying trying to make that money........gotta work hard to play hard.

BY U BOY 06-21-2008 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater (Post 2597129)

I agree with show n go h20. Boating is a part of my lifestyle, without it I'm miserable.

I'm the same way i get pissy if i can't take the boat out:D I was raised on the water and was in the boat everyday. It's a lifestyle i could never give up. Life would not be worth living:grinser010:

Steve H 06-21-2008 12:43 PM

I've had lots of mixed feelings after buying a boat, but smart wasn't one of them.

Jupiter Sunsation 06-21-2008 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by erol827 (Post 2596998)
Greetings All -

I have been wondering for months & months now - Is it smart to buy a boat now? I mean i know there are so many factors, but with gas showing no signs of going down, the boating industry basically tanking. Its odd because of the current state of things, there are some many good deals to be had but i feel things are only going to get worse with fuel and all the other associated costs that go along with a boat. Just was curious to know everyone's thoughts on this.

- e

Great time if you want to boat in the summer of 08. Better time financially after summer but then again next winter will lower prices again and you will have paid to have a boat all winter and not use it.

rainmn 06-21-2008 02:05 PM

Just unloaded the family cruiser last night. It had nothing to do with costs, just didn't want that particular boat anymore.

I may pick up a pair of (dare I say it) PWC's for the summer, and start shopping near the end of the season.