Need Advice - Head and Value issues ?'s >

Need Advice - Head and Value issues ?'s

Notices

Need Advice - Head and Value issues ?'s

Old 06-21-2008, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice - Head and Value issues ?'s

Well the start of my 2008 boating has not started well. I have a 95 Powerquest 270 Laser with a 454 Mag EFI 385hp with 550 - 600 hours. First time out boat would not get on plane and felt line I had 10 people on baord.

I changed the plugs, cap and rotor second time out same thing. I did get on plane but it took forever.

I had the boat checked out by my marina's mechanic and the #6 & 8 cyclinders only have 40 psi of compression, the rest are at 140 to 150. I am being told probably warped head, bad head gasket and probably need a valve and spring job. They really can't be certain until they take it apart.

Orginally, I was quoted $1900 plus parts and need to pull motor by the new marina managemet owners. I got call today from the former owner who used to own the place and now he just works a few days a week. He said they would do all the work for $1500.00 and they don't need to pull the motor. I trust the former owner and he has always treated me great over the past 10 years. I do consider him a friend as he has always been straight with me.

I thought about trying to upgrade the hp but it probably was going to cost more than I want to spend right now so probably just try to get it back to stock.

I guess my questions are does the diagnosis sound right and if so is that a fair price? Please share comments and suggestions. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 901 Posts

More than likely the head gasket is blown between the #6 and # 8 cylinders. The engine does not need to come out.

I highly doubt you warped a head unless the engine was overheated. The problem is that the head and/or block could have been damaged if the blown gasket is a result of detonation. Its not likely the case though.

If you are going to keep the boat for a while, I would have both heads pulled and have the heads redone with new seals, springs and valve job.

As far as the new owners quoting $1900 plus parts????? I don't know how they can do that until its apart and they know exactly whats involved.

A valve job, springs and seals will probably run about $500. All the rest of the gaskets and misc parts about $200. Labor is probably 8 or so hours.