Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Marine Battery vs. RV Battery? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/189426-marine-battery-vs-rv-battery.html)

Chris Sunkin 06-23-2008 10:01 AM

You apparently have missed some of the threads on this sound system. I remember one about a month ago- something about "I got a great deal on a dozen sets of 6x9's..." :)

BeakBoater35 06-23-2008 11:34 AM

Would it be cheaper and less weight to simply bring the live band on board?

Sydwayz 06-23-2008 11:41 AM

Shoot a PM to 'excursion' here on OSO. IIRC, he had a cell phone tower battery in his last boat for his stereo craziness.

Steve H 06-23-2008 12:21 PM

I would suggest two Trojan SCS225. 225 Min reserve each. Then if they weren't enough it would be easy to just add one more.

I have been selling the Trojan line for years.
I consider them the best in the business. The SCS series are very expensive but you know what they say. You get what you pay for.

waterboy222 06-23-2008 01:07 PM

Thanks for all the help. The price quote on "big mamma" came in at $665 PLUS shipping from FLORIDA to OKLAHOMA. So that idea is going to be bunk unless I can find a local dealer for them. They are MARINE rated fortunately. They do, however, make the battery in an RV and a MARINE form so you were right about that. And yes, I got a helluva deal on the system so I wanna use everything Ive got plus I dont want to redo my side panels AGAIN to cut back on speakers. The problem with the generator (i have considered this an option for a LONG time now) is that my swimplatform is really small and everyone hangs out on it while they are swimming. Plus, half the time my swimplatform is underwater becuase the back of the boat sits so low.

I have REALLY considered putting a honda gen behind the speaker box in the vberth and opening up the hatch to allow air in and out but that opens up a whole nother can of worms. I think im just going to try to find some batteries that will work for what I need.

Can anyone tell me what kinda amps my system will be drawing? That will help me a LOT because all the "reserve minutes/discharge minutes" are rated at different amps and Ive no clue how much Ill be using. I will have 3 2000watt amps and one 250 watt amp.

waterboy222 06-23-2008 01:11 PM

according to that link that you posted, the Golf Cart batteries may be the way to go. They are square vs rectangle so they take up a deeper footprint but not wider. Ive got a phone call in to our local golf cart dealer to get a price on 3 of these 6v batteries. My concern is my charger. How do I use my 3-bank charger on 3 6v golf cart batteries?

Sean H 06-23-2008 01:14 PM

watts/volts=amps

C_Spray 06-23-2008 01:20 PM

Watts = Volts x Amps, therefore:

6250 watts / 12 volts = 521 amps (!!!!)

Of course, those are peak power numbers, not RMS averages.

The louder you play it, the more juice it will use. I think you're wasting time and money putting all that crap in there unless you run it wide open all the time. How about just putting enough power in there to get the volume you want? Like it or not, what your proposing requires a generator to run for very long.

waterboy222 06-23-2008 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H (Post 2598896)
watts/volts=amps

6250Watts/12= 521 amps:eek:

Am I missin somethin?:readinghelp:

waterboy222 06-23-2008 01:40 PM

according to the calculator on lifeline Im going to have to have 59 of these $600 batteries to run for 8 hours..