Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cost of ownership between large single and a small twin? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/189499-cost-ownership-between-large-single-small-twin.html)

Stormrider 06-25-2008 02:21 PM

boatnuts, i meant 25s in general, and that "Your setup was special due to its age" is because its and early 70s magnum.
The only way to buy a twin 25 today would be outboards. ;)

Yes, most 25 magnums were built with twins.

The only other manufacturer that put twins normally in a similar sized boat was the 26 Sutphen, and that was mostly in the mid/late 80s.

Today you'd be fairly mad to put twin I/Os on a 25.
The new 27sutphen w/ 2xsbc, or 28joker, or 28 pantera, or 28saber would all be pretty cool w/ 450-475 mild 350s on stock b1s.

All that big HP blower motor stuff wouldn't suit me right now, especially knowing i have to have 2 bravo derivatives for backups when the one i'm running blows! :D

bimmerboy318 06-25-2008 06:02 PM

Thanks for the all the input guys.

When I meant big single I meant a 28' boat with a 496HO. When I meant small twin I meant a 29' boat with twin 454s.

Based on where I'll be using it, and the threads posted, I'll be sticking with a 28' single 496HO on inland lakes and rivers.

Kims 06-25-2008 06:34 PM

To use the other motor, instead of a paddle to get you home with a wife onboard - PRICELESS!

Magic Medicine 06-25-2008 06:41 PM

I just upgraded to a 32' Sunsation twin from a 28' single Checkmate with a 500efi. As long as general maintenace goes twins are not that much more money on oil changes, drive oil, winterizing etc. That stuff really isn't that much anyway. The big difference I have noticed is fuel, could just be that gas is a buck a gallon more than last summer though. Filling up any boat right now just plain hurts. 75 gal @ 4.05 per gal = $337 you get the picture. I can say that my wife is alot more happy in the larger smooth riding 32' boat that we are currently in. Let me speak from experience, buy the boat you want the first time. I have been through 4 boats in 5.5 years. I am not saying I was not happy with each boat that I had, but selling, financing them is not as easy as it once was. Last but not least, giving uncle sam your sales tax just plain hurts! If I were you I would go big!

My .02

ICDEDPPL 02-03-2011 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Magic Medicine (Post 2602698)
I just upgraded to a 32' Sunsation twin from a 28' single Checkmate with a 500efi. As long as general maintenace goes twins are not that much more money on oil changes, drive oil, winterizing etc. That stuff really isn't that much anyway. The big difference I have noticed is fuel, could just be that gas is a buck a gallon more than last summer though. Filling up any boat right now just plain hurts. 75 gal @ 4.05 per gal = $337 you get the picture. I can say that my wife is alot more happy in the larger smooth riding 32' boat that we are currently in. Let me speak from experience, buy the boat you want the first time. I have been through 4 boats in 5.5 years. I am not saying I was not happy with each boat that I had, but selling, financing them is not as easy as it once was. Last but not least, giving uncle sam your sales tax just plain hurts! If I were you I would go big!

My .02

Aint that the truth!

Quinlan 02-03-2011 08:09 PM

The MOST important part of twins= ONE to get home on.

Baja_342 02-03-2011 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 2600146)
Go twins. You will not regret it.

+1

Only boat that I would prefer a single in is a 29 Fever.