Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Yes, in twisted way this is a boating related topic... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/18957-yes-twisted-way-boating-related-topic.html)

Cord 02-26-2002 04:55 PM

Yes, in twisted way this is a boating related topic...

Yes, in some twisted way this is a boating related topic....

Yesterday, the Mrs. was filling the truck up and found that it wouldn't restart. We had it towed to the local dealer, where they declared the fuel pump doa. The pump, sender, and pickup assembly retailed for $450, plus another $500 to install it. The parts are not available from GM individually. All of this is on a truck with 140,000 of hard rust belt miles. Well, with the new boat, there is absolutly no way that I can afford 1k in repairs! So the dealer is willing to let me supply the parts. I call all over the place and finally find a salvage yard with the right pump. $65 + delivery. Not the assembly that I wanted, just the pump. I buy the part and they deliver it the next day. Unfortinatly it's the wrong pump. They do a search and can't find the correct one. SOL. So I start calling the parts warehouses. I find one with the correct pump, but he won't deliver it because I'm not a commercial account. $48-cheaper than the used one! So I call the dealer back and he orders the pump. The pump arrives and they start to tear the truck appart. Unfortinatly, when she filled the tank up, the sending unit some how broke, the pump picked up the debris thus destroying it's self. Don't ask me how it happened, as that's what I've been told. So, we call back to the parts warehouse, but they don't sell the sending units. It apparently is a GM only part. Now we are back to the GM assembly. Argggggh!

Sorry, guys but I just had to vent.:mad:

And if somebody whines about this not being boating related, this is the same truck that I use to tow the boat! So if you don't like it, you can just.........

BAJA WILL 02-26-2002 05:10 PM

Been there and done that, ;)

Neverfastenuf 02-26-2002 05:43 PM

Cord, what kind of truck???? Post the year, model, engine size. The prices seem high to me.

Cord 02-26-2002 06:42 PM

95 S-10 Blazer. 4.3 V-6 with the code "W" engine. This truck has always been something of a freek. Apparently GM wasn't building OBDII S-10's in 95, but this one is definetly a OBDII truck. This always makes it interesting when getting parts.

Shane 02-26-2002 06:48 PM

Good luck Cord, I hope you get it fixed in a jiffy!:)

birdog 02-26-2002 07:18 PM

Those Blazers are a ***** to replace! Ill post this for all the wifes out there...DO NOT run newer cars low on fuel!!!! this is what destroys the "in tank" type fuel pumps!!!! and they aint cheap!!!!! Also be thankful you didnt go with used....Have it quit a week later? WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!