Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New Virginia Boater (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/189578-new-virginia-boater.html)

BlackJack58 06-24-2008 06:27 PM

Well, as an inexperienced boater - just because he wants to do those kind of offshore trips doesn't mean he should. At this point, a 25-28' boat will probably be all that he can handle...especially when he's around the docks...next to your boat. :D

Mav, if MOST of your boating will be on lakes - get a boat that makes sense for that...there will be plenty of time later to move to a bigger boat. I could have bought a larger [first] boat, and now I'm glad I didn't...easy to trailer, reasonable on fuel, and manageable in terms of control. Chris Sunkin gave you some good advice to start.

formula 382 sr-1 06-24-2008 09:04 PM

:eek:

formula 382 sr-1 06-24-2008 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Macklin (Post 2601053)
I'm considering listing mine. '08 37 Active Thunder with 525's. A little over 60 hours now. Stored inside 24/7.

Love the boat, but would love a house on the water more.

:eek:

45sonic 06-24-2008 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 2600719)
Your not talking about Terry's are you????

Not his.

Have a friend (who just passed away) that was/still is looking to unload his boat before is health got worse. Now it needs to go.

BAJA WILL 06-25-2008 09:05 AM

I am not going down this road, if you sincerely think it is responsible advice to give someone, to jump into a 7000-12000lbs boat with 850-1400HP as their first Performance boat go for it, I hope you have your VA Dealer License # ready when, Cindy (DGIF) in Richmond calls you when their is a problem.

Sorry MAV,

WILL:eek:

Sydwayz 06-25-2008 09:11 AM

I guess we will agree to disagree. I'm not saying its the right move for everyone, but a responsible individual can handle it; especially if trained well.

SeaDated 06-25-2008 09:15 AM

I know of a very nice Warlock 25 with 454 FEI Mag that can be bought very very right. The boat is super clean and low time. They are asking 40 but I know 35 would take it.

ar15meister 06-25-2008 09:51 AM

I was recently in the same situation as you.

I looked at 28 Apaches with twins, Cigarette Bullets, Fountains, etc......

I bought a single engine Pantera 28. 750hp Bischoff Racing Engines motor (roughly) put to an IMCO drive.

Cool enough to have respect from big boys, fast enough to scare you a bit, old school looks and rough water capability. I know there was one for sale with a single 500EFI Merc when I was lookin. Thats nice reliable power. Not sure if it sold or not. I think it was a 2000.

Chris Sunkin gave you the best advice in my humble opinion. Dont buy one with twins. Start off with something cool that you will love. Buying anything with over 500hp under 30 ft (like a Fountain or Pantera) is going to be way over your head already especially for no experience. You dont want to kill yourself or worse someone else...... If you need to have it (like I did) at least respect you own limits and move up to a big boat in a couple of years once you understand what it is all about. hell, you might just decide that a smaller single high perf machine is perfect for your purposes.

As far as cabin is concerned.....I dont have one in mine and I dont think I am missing out but I just like running the damn thing, I would never sleep on a boat unless it was a boat truly meant for that. Unless I am drunk, in which case just find your nearest ditch/park bench and you should be fine...

Again I am by no means an expert but I did my homework and this was how I decided to spend my life savings!

Good Luck.

seafordguy 06-25-2008 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2601872)
I guess we will agree to disagree. I'm not saying its the right move for everyone, but a responsible individual can handle it; especially if trained well.

I concur - My first boat was my CAFE (went from a 20' 1974 Wellcraft V-20 with an OB) I have done nothing irresponsible, haven't so much as bumped a dock or anything. As long as you take your time - no problem.

Chris Sunkin 06-25-2008 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by mav2005 (Post 2600616)
I'll be the first to say that I have little to no experience boating.

These are his own words.

A 25' boat is going to be a free-fall experience for this gentleman. A 35' performance boat is probably going to be an overwhelming experience that will drive him out of the sport within the season. Just the launch-ramp alone is going to have him scratching his head and wondering how he dumped all this money out and how he's going to get himself out. The complexity of operation, the expense and the dramatically steep learning curve are all against him. Hell, they're against me after 30 years- I'm just too stupid to give up and take my ass-whipping and go home.

What most of us take for granted, he's still blissfully unaware of. One of the biggest problems with our sport is that 80% of it is fun & games. The other 20% consists of things that can be very expensive and/or lethal. Many experienced boaters have yet to dip into some of the really bad parts of that 20%, but there's time yet for everyone. Venturing into the open ocean without skill, preparedness and lots of boating experience is a good way to see that last percent or two. And it's an ugly way to go.

You need baby steps here- make friends with other performance boaters and start doing trips with them. If Mav were my friend, I'd sneak into his storage and steal parts off of his boat to keep him from trying outside running.