Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   owens and sons trailers? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/19001-owens-sons-trailers.html)

26sonic 02-27-2002 01:04 AM

owens and sons trailers?

does anyone own one and would you recommend it.i'm looking into purchasing a trailer for my 1998 26 sonic. also considering load master and south florida , any opinions?

Hot Duck 02-27-2002 01:31 AM

I owned an Ownes and Sons tandem axle trailer (now belongs to Griff on this board) and had no problems with it. I purchased it through Ducky's Boats in PA. Granted, I only owned it for just over a year, but it seemed to be a well built trailer. The one I had was the aluminun I-Beam version. My only modification I made from the way they built it was to remove the guide poles and mount the tail lights low behind the fenders. I used it to carry a 28' Pantera and it did so really well.

www.duckysboats.com Ducky's Boats

www.slideon.com Owens & Sons

Hot Duck 02-27-2002 01:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I found a picture of the boat on the Owens and Sons trailer.

Andy Buzz 02-27-2002 02:19 AM

I did extensive research prior to purchasing my last three trailers. The best you can buy is Rolls Axle in Plant City, FL. Before you buy call Dan and he can explain what makes his completely different. I usually find the number on www.bigyellow.com or any other directory.

NW_Jim 02-27-2002 02:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had one under my 30' Baja. The only problem I had with it was it was so light and had so much timber on it that it floated. No kidding. If I backed the trailer into the water and walked down the dock to get the boat, the trailer would float away and be 90° to the truck. I had to tie it to the dock for a while. Finally had to put about 400 lbs of sand in 6" pvc pipe to get it to sink. I would call them and ask if the one for the 26' will do the same thing. They did admit that mine would float.
Here is their website
Owens and Sons

NW_Jim 02-27-2002 02:21 AM

I see the board gods have reduced the size of the pics now to 320X240. :(

skatermike24 02-27-2002 08:13 AM

I have one under my cat, seems to be holding up pretty good, bought it in 95, only problems I had are the brakes, good luck:cool:

cuda 02-27-2002 08:35 AM

I have heard they build a very good trailer. They use all stainless steel fasteners. If you use it in salt water, order one with the flush kit to keep the brakes, axles, and hubs from rusting out. Many aluminum trailers will float. Some people take the plastic covered weights from a weight set and drill holes through the frame to mount them. Torsion axles are a nice option too.

Sydwayz 02-27-2002 10:11 AM

Tony,

This is the trailer that Eric/CheckmateF1 purchased:

http://www.americanboattrailers.com/

Great trailer, and he is very happy with it. They delivered it to within 80 miles. Count on the better part of a couple hours in setting up the trailer to fit the boat. Go for the upgraded rims as well.

A lot of Aluminum Trailers will float. My Rocket floated. It is not necessarily any one component that makes it float, but the combination of all of them. My trailer has big timbers on it, as well as aluminum I-beams, but I also have 4 huge 16" tires on very light aluminum ARE rims on there too. Before we refit my trailer with new timber, and front cradle bunks, I added 4-50 pound dumbbells, (with several coats of paint) to the inside of my I-beams, with SS U-bolts. I padded them against the trailer with cut to fit pieces of thick rubber from an old truck mud-flap. (The dumbbells are iron, and the trailer is aluminum. This poses a potential problem for dissimilar metals corroding each other. Also goes for if you use lead to add weight.) After the refit, I am down to 2-50 pound dumbbells, mounted inside the I-beams, right behind the rear tires. If you have square tube cross braces and axles on your trailer, remove the endcaps, and drill a couple holes in the bottom of each tube. This will allow them to fill with water when backed down the ramp, and drain as you pull away. This will also cut down on your bouancy.

Griff 02-27-2002 11:55 AM

The shipping company towed my Pantera 1375 miles from Ocean City to Omaha with no problems. Looks to be well built.