Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Put In Bay, 1st time question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/190113-put-bay-1st-time-question.html)

fund razor 07-02-2008 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2610384)
Yes, you'll be rafted at the public marina on the North side of the island. You most likely will be rafted with a bunch of absolute drunks who will bang and stumble all over your boat with little regard to the damage you do. You quite possibly will be tied next to some maniac with a $500 Thompson cuddy. They run the dope-sniffing dogs on the docks and board & search boats so be forewarned. Arresting drunks and guys with open containers is the primary revenue producers for the city so be aware of that too. They fill the town with ferries-full of amateur hour kids who want to drink themselves into oblivion.

You can also get dockage at a private marina to the west- a better choice.

If I were you, I'd pay a visit to PIB but I'd hang at Kelley's Island. In an Ohio context, PIB is Panama City on Spring break, Kelley's is Key West.

Chris makes it sound so nice. But he forgot the part about drunk people screaming all night and seaweed in your water pickups. Add crappy food and it is nearly shangri la. :D
My cousin has a home there and teaches at the grade school. I am pretty sure that the island raises most of its revenue one ticket at a time. But hey... at least this year you can drink the water. ;)

glassdave 07-02-2008 09:10 AM

oh, yes if you are looking for the spring break type thing than Put-in-Bay by all means :D

bill63 07-02-2008 09:13 AM

put in bay is my favorite place to go , i dock at a private club on the island(crews nest) but if had to choose another dock i would call ladds marina or miller marina both take reservations and do not raft unless you want to. take lots of money because it all about the benjimans down there. You will love it. I was down there two weeks ago and public docking did not seem to be too crazy probably gas prices had to do with that.

Chris Sunkin 07-02-2008 09:15 AM

I've stayed away for several years now. Like Barb said, you reach a point...

You can drink in bars and on your boat. One foot on the dock and you'll regret it. The depend on these citations to pay their bills the other 9 months of the year.

The public marina is good if you want to stay up all night and drink. But the action is in the bars until last call. There's a certain social atmosphere on the docks, but it often depends who's there. Sometimes it can be adults with nice boats and sometimes it can be maniacs and trash.

It used to be Friday by noon if you wanted a good spot. As has been said, traffic is down. I wouldn't worry about the part atmosphere- while boat traffic is down, the ferries are still running and they charge way less than a ticket to Florida.

Chris Sunkin 07-02-2008 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by fund razor (Post 2610441)
Chris makes it sound so nice. )

Hey, I'm a man of standards. Most of them are low, but at least I have them.

Scott 07-02-2008 09:24 AM

If you guys are single, under 40 and on a bachelor party PIB is your only option! Take Daves advice and talk to + Tip the dock master and you should have no problems!

Kellys is a great place and my #1 hang out but I'm not looking for (well I still look) but not trying to find anyone to replace the girl I met at PIB 12 years ago:eek:

It seems that "B" dock has been a tad bit quieter than it used to and yes I have heard the Bay is not doing as well this year. If you want a reserved dock to the West call Jim Drushel at 419-285-3318 Jim will take care of your group has free beer on Friday + Coffee and doughnuts in the morning.

Hope this helps

Scott 07-02-2008 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2610453)
I've stayed away for several years now. Like Barb said, you reach a point...

You can drink in bars and on your boat. One foot on the dock and you'll regret it. The depend on these citations to pay their bills the other 9 months of the year.

The public marina is good if you want to stay up all night and drink. But the action is in the bars until last call. There's a certain social atmosphere on the docks, but it often depends who's there. Sometimes it can be adults with nice boats and sometimes it can be maniacs and trash.

It used to be Friday by noon if you wanted a good spot. As has been said, traffic is down. I wouldn't worry about the part atmosphere- while boat traffic is down, the ferries are still running and they charge way less than a ticket to Florida.

It has changed quite a bit in the last couple of years. We are spending the night there on Sunday and I may actually stay on "B" dock. I have no tolerance for the crap that goes on like you described I'm not a Kid anymore (I'm also not dead):drink:

Racegirl3 07-02-2008 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Scott (Post 2610474)
I'm not a Kid anymore (I'm also not dead):drink:

Reaaaalllllly :D

Scott 07-02-2008 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Racegirl3 (Post 2610486)
Reaaaalllllly :D

F**** U:drink:

Racegirl3 07-02-2008 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Scott (Post 2610488)
F**** U:drink:

:p:drink: