Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Put In Bay, 1st time question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/190113-put-bay-1st-time-question.html)

BraceYourself 07-02-2008 11:03 AM

Been at PIB on the city docks every weekend pretty much for three years. I was there last night for dinner actually. I've never had a problem with the safety of my boat. $100 tips to the dock guys doesn't hurt either. Stay on A dock. Adam and Joe are the main dock guys, they run a tight ship. PIB is as relaxing or as crazy as you make it. Police are very nice unless you are an idiot, then look out.

RHC 07-02-2008 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by BraceYourself (Post 2610615)
Been at PIB on the city docks every weekend pretty much for three years. I was there last night for dinner actually. I've never had a problem with the safety of my boat. $100 tips to the dock guys doesn't hurt either. Stay on A dock. Adam and Joe are the main dock guys, they run a tight ship. PIB is as relaxing or as crazy as you make it. Police are very nice unless you are an idiot, then look out.

and I always thought that you were one of the Crazie's !!:evilb::rolleyes::drink:

RHC

Racegirl3 07-02-2008 12:11 PM

Try the Commodore Resort. I've never stayed there but I know some of the LEOPA members who have. Never heard any complaints from them .....

Heres a link to a link :drink:

http://www.mredsputinbay.com/index.php

Queenie 07-02-2008 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by BraceYourself (Post 2610615)

I'll watch your boat for $50 each time you hit the bay. I can quit my full time job than! :evilb:

fund razor 07-02-2008 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 2610501)
I dont think its nearly as crazy as it use to be. its pretty much just about right if you are looking for a party. Best time at the docks is after the last ferry leaves. its funny watching the people that got stuck there trying to weigh out there options (drunk). :drink:

foods pretty good at the Boardwalk and several other places out there to

Boardwalk is ok food, like the bisque. The boat house is ok for a fish sammich. Chicken Patio used to be ok. Speaking of used to be crazy.... I was standing in front of the old beer barrel when it went up in flames back in 89 or so. THAT was a crazy memorial day weekend.
Last time I took the stinger over I was docked behind the loudest, most drunken idiots ever.

THRILLSEEKER 07-02-2008 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by fund razor (Post 2610720)
Last time I took the stinger over I was docked behind the loudest, most drunken idiots ever.

That was probably Team Baja.:drink:

fund razor 07-02-2008 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by THRILLSEEKER (Post 2610726)
That was probably Team Baja.:drink:

It was those dam cruiser boaters. ;)
Besides, I hear Team Baja would have been passed out at that point. And these people were conscious. :D

Captnmike 07-02-2008 12:58 PM

Elizabeth Park, just south of Trenton, on the road to Grosse Isle, has a great ramp and good security.

But if I was you and the date is the important factor in your weekend, I would go ahead and drive out to the state park on Cataba Island. Cross the pretty new bridge in Toledo and follow Hiway 2 around.

Woah is the man who has to make the run back back to Detroit on Sunday in 8 to 10's with a slight hangover.

Use the gas saved to go to Kelly's and Sandusky Bay...you will enjoy your weekend a lot more.

On Erie, it's better to want to boat, then have to boat, on some days.

Mike

Ms PatriYacht 07-02-2008 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 2610544)
Bolles Harbor in Monroe is a great place to run to the bay from. its about 35 miles straight east . Big ramps and plenty of 'em
oh . . . the first island you'll hit isnt The Bay :D . . .

Bolles Harbor has good launch but the big problem is it is a MI DNR launch site the DNR will not allow overnight parking. (at least as of last year) Lately Ian and I launch out of the Erie Metro Park and head over from there. However that being said we plan on taking a chance this Thursday and launch there to head to Toledo for two nights so we can join up with LEOPA for the the fireworks on Friday. Ian thinks if we get a ticket it will be cheaper then towing to Toledo and launching at Minkies.
Has anyone tried leaving their rig over night at Bolles I can't imagine they would tow the truck and 43' trailer.

Who plans on doing the LEOPA thing on Friday?

Ms PatriYacht 07-02-2008 01:31 PM

[QUOTE=fund razor;2610441]
and seaweed in your water pickups.QUOTE]

I think you were refering to PIB, but also we had a miserable time with that at the boardwalk in Kelly's last year. We left there early on labor day Monday and wound up so choked up that we limpted on one engine to the bay and Ian spent about 6 hours working on the hoses, pickup etc., he finally solved the problem and we left for home about a half hour before sunset. We have also smoked an impeller or two right around the area between the Ford Yacht Club and Erie Metro Park, thick floating seaweed seems to be a big problem, so be observent.