Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
WHITE LIGHTNING ARRESTED AT BACKWATER JACKS FOR dB? >

WHITE LIGHTNING ARRESTED AT BACKWATER JACKS FOR dB?

Notices

WHITE LIGHTNING ARRESTED AT BACKWATER JACKS FOR dB?

Old 07-13-2008, 10:18 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=190897
Old 07-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

let me tell ya about db reading. i have 10k in fines and attorney fees over one of our clubs loud pa system. well we had 3 pro come out and do reading. the most we got was 50 db at 30 feet from the building. we have been open for 10 years and no problem till last year. the db readings are only as effective as the people using them. the cops will do wantever, whenever they want if peeps biotch enough. whats next mufflers in nascar? fighter plane with rubberbands? paper passenger airplanes?
these UNITED STATES are going to hell in a hand basket. and quickly. we cant do crap with out getting into trouble, but we cant spank our children when they do something wrong. i feel sorry for who gets to takeover when we leave this earth and visit all of our loud friends in heaven
just my .02 worth
Old 07-14-2008, 10:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know what it's like elsewhere but this summer we're infestred with muffler-less Harleys and screaming crotch rockets. But there's zero enforcement. The cops I've spoken with all tell me the same thing- "why bother, they all run anyway".
Old 07-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KiloKat
Every one of my piston boats get a set of turn downs - including the 44' MTI & 50' Mystic. Why not? No loss of power and no hassle from the water patrol. It's definitely a win-win combination!

totally agreed...routing the exhaust low below water line so when off plane the sound is muffled is the way to go..most of the time you are talking with friends at this time, or even chillin listining to some tunes..I really like this option on this boat..
Attached Thumbnails WHITE LIGHTNING ARRESTED AT BACKWATER JACKS FOR dB?-blue-bayou-070-555.jpg  
Old 07-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratickle
Eventually it will be lowered to 75db at 75' per J34, unfortunately. That is similar to semi's. Maybe the Coast Guard recommendation of 86db will hold up, but I doubt it. The more people that own lake/ocean front property, the sooner it will happen.
That 75 db is the EU standard.
It's just about impossible. We had to use both underwater exhaust with mufflers to get there.
The hull noise alone at speed just about put us over.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
totally agreed...routing the exhaust low below water line so when off plane the sound is muffled is the way to go..most of the time you are talking with friends at this time, or even chillin listining to some tunes..I really like this option on this boat..
One thing leads to another

Loud exhaust + PO'd Water Patrol = under water exhaust
Attached Thumbnails WHITE LIGHTNING ARRESTED AT BACKWATER JACKS FOR dB?-exhaust.jpg   WHITE LIGHTNING ARRESTED AT BACKWATER JACKS FOR dB?-ticket.jpg   WHITE LIGHTNING ARRESTED AT BACKWATER JACKS FOR dB?-2005_1116keywest20079.jpg  

Old 07-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
I just spoke to Travis and I can set the record straight.

Travis was NOT arrested. He was NOT ticketed nor did he get a written warning. He WAS having a snack with 5 gorgeous hardbodies at Backwater Jacks. The water patrol DID tell him they had gotten two calls about a too-loud boat and advised him to get some kind of muffling system. Travis has affixed some clamp-ons and was not hasseled the following time he took the boat out.

For the record: Travis does NOT need to free-rev his engines anymore, because Brad Smith has dialed-in his carbs to not load-up at idle. He WILL however give them a quick blast if a pretty enough girl asks him.

Travis does NOT drink when he is running his boat. The example he sets in that regard for his children and friends is absolutely true.

Hopefully this will end the speculation that Travis is in trouble. The water patrol guys are cool and can be reasoned with as they were at the confrontation at BWJ's.
Well Ed that's wonderful for Travis but I wondered how he could get away and I ended up with a $125.00 ticket first offense last year...and told to take it off the lake until it would meet thier noise limits...

Mine were only at 96.7 db at idle hardly ear splitting??? Seems like the WP are selective on who and when they enforce, Travis has been out on the lake long enough to have gotten more than one warning I would like to know how he was getting by with his...

I boat down there all year and noise was last years thing to stop you for...This year it seems to be "BUI" since they've lowered the limits to .08 and they waste ungodly amount of time stopping people making a wake in the "idle zones" not paying any attention to some of the real dangers and jet skiers going where they shouldn't and running into each other...killed another jet skier this weekend...
Old 07-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen Travis many mnay times on the lake, and his boat was over the top loud. I love the rumble as much as the next guy, but it was LOUD. I saw him several times at the lake over the 4th, and it was much much quieter as he idled around. When he rev'd it up, only a few fillings in my teeth lossened up!

If you don't know the boat, it is a badass boat. Somewhere on OSO there is a full video clip from when it was new. It may very well be the baddest v bottom on the lake, IMO.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by LOTO Boater
I have seen Travis many mnay times on the lake, and his boat was over the top loud. I love the rumble as much as the next guy, but it was LOUD. I saw him several times at the lake over the 4th, and it was much much quieter as he idled around. When he rev'd it up, only a few fillings in my teeth lossened up!

If you don't know the boat, it is a badass boat. Somewhere on OSO there is a full video clip from when it was new. It may very well be the baddest v bottom on the lake, IMO.
oh wiggles stop it already...go away
Old 07-16-2008, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by salesmanship
That 75 db is the EU standard.
It's just about impossible. We had to use both underwater exhaust with mufflers to get there.
The hull noise alone at speed just about put us over.
Yeah I know. As said, even the twin outboard cop boat assisting in the tests at Higgins Lake failed. Hoping the Coast Guard rtecommended level of 86db becomes the standard, but the study results done by the Government are recommending the 75db level.

I can't get this to paste right, but the columns are listed. First item is the state, second item is do they have a noise law, third is the standard/standards used, and last is are cutouts illegal. This is as of 2000 and is part of the overall recommendation to Congress for a national law. So like Ohio, Connecticut, Idaho, Illinois, etc. are already 75db running.

BOAT NOISE
[Table 3.1]
State Law Standard Cutouts Illegal
Alabama Yes 86dB -Marine Police Standards Yes
Alaska No n/a No
American Samoa Yes Federal regulations enforced N/A
Arizona` Yes 86dB SAE J1970 No
Arkansas No n/a No
California Yes 86 dB pre-Jan 1976; 84 dB pre-Jan 1978; 82 dB post-Jan 1978 No
Canada (Ontario) No n/a n/a
Colorado Yes 86Db(a) on the A scale Yes
Connecticut Yes SAE J2005 90 dB(a) prior to 1/1/93; 88 dB(a) after 1/1/93. SAE J1970 75 dB(a) Yes
Delaware No n/a No
District of Columbia No n/a Yes
Florida Yes 90 dB(a) at 50 feet. No
Georgia No n/a Yes
Guam No n/a No
Hawaii No n/a No
Idaho Yes J1970 75dB(A), J2005 90dB(A) pre 11/1/95 & 88 dB(A) after Yes
Illinois Yes SAE J 2005 90dB(a); J1970 75 dB(a) No
Indiana No n/a Yes
Iowa Yes 86dB as measured on a scale at 50 feet minimum No
Kansas No n/a No
Kentucky No n/a No
Louisiana Yes Must be adequately muffled No
Maine Yes 90 dB(a) stationary; 75 dB(a) operational Yes
Maryland Yes 90 dbA - SAE J2005 Yes
Massachusetts Yes Federal standards Yes
Michigan Yes 90 dB(a) SAE J-2005 or 75 dB(a) SAE J-1970 Yes
Minnesota Yes 82 dB(a) at 50 feet post 1/1/82; 84 dB(a) pre 1/1/82 Yes
Mississippi No n/a No
Missouri Yes 86 dB at 50 feet or 90 dB at idle speed at 1 meter Yes
Montana Yes SAE J-2005 - 86 dB No
N. Mariana Islands No n/a No
Nebraska No n/a No
Nevada Yes 86 dB(a) SAE-J34 - Model Act pending February 2001 No
New Hampshire Yes Manufactured before 1977, 86 dB(a) at 50 feet, Manufactured between '78 & '81, 84 dB(a),
Manufactured after '81, 82 dB(a) Yes
New Jersey Yes 90dB(a) Yes
New Mexico Yes Reasonable manner Yes
New York Yes SAEJ1970 - 75 dB(a), SAEJ2005 - 90dB Yes
North Carolina No n/a Yes
North Dakota No n/a No
Ohio Yes Effective 1/1/2000, 90 dB SAE J2005 (Stationary) 75 dB running No
Oklahoma n/a n/a Yes
Oregon Yes 90 dBA J2005 < 1/1/93; 88 dBA > 1/1/93 No
Pennsylvania Yes SAE J-2005 88dB(a) Yes
Puerto Rico No n/a No
Rhode Island No Reasonable level Yes
South Carolina No n/a No
South Dakota No n/a No
Tennessee Yes 86 dB at 50 feet SAE J34 Yes
Texas No n/a No
Utah Yes For boats 1993 or older, 90 dB(a); 1994 or newer, 88 dB(a) Yes
Vermont Yes 82 dB at 50 feet Yes
Virgin Islands No n/a Yes
Virginia No n/a Yes
Washington Yes SAE J1970 75 dB(a); SAE J2005 90 dB pre 1/94; 88 dB post 1/94 Yes
West Virginia No n/a Yes
Wisconsin Yes 86 dB(a) J1970, J2005, J34a Yes
Wyoming No n/a Yes

Quick Reply: WHITE LIGHTNING ARRESTED AT BACKWATER JACKS FOR dB?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.