Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: Question about North Carolina (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/19054-ot-question-about-north-carolina.html)

Miller 02-27-2002 06:48 PM

OT: Question about North Carolina

My younger sister is in graduate school at the University of Virginia and is going to graduate with a Master's in Special Education. She has been approached by a number of school districts around the country about job offers and is planning to visit several areas during her spring break. One place she has not yet decided about is a place called Dare County, North Carolina. Anyone know anything about Dare County? She wants to relocate to warmer place than where we grew up (Cleveland) and would prefer a suburban location. She fears taht Dare County, where the claim to fame is that the Wright Brothers made their first flight there, is too rural and doesn't want to make the trip if it isn't a place she'd ever move. So, can anyone shed some light on the place?

Thanks in advance.

Biggus 02-27-2002 07:09 PM

Hi Miller, I might be wrong but I think Dare county is on the Outer Banks. I bought my Fountain from a guy in Kill Devil Hills.

Kurt.

Miller 02-27-2002 07:21 PM

I gotta find out what towns are there. Did you visit the area when you bought the Fountain? If so, what did you think?

Miller 02-27-2002 07:23 PM

Manto is the town that she might live in according to the recruiter.

bucky 02-27-2002 09:02 PM

DARE COUNTY NC

Miller, if your sister is urban in any way skip the visit . The Outer Banks are beautiful and all that but after labor day the place closes down about 90 percent. It is a VERY rural area and usually that means that the school systems have very little money. Manteo is a dot on the road about 20 miles south of the Wright memorial but has a great boat ramp with access to all kinds of great areas to boat. It is very crowded all summer long because of the beaches.
May I suggest the Chesapeake/Va Beach area if she wants to be near the water, great place to live, close to Nags Head, all the shopping in the world, museums, the Navy, probably three hours from Charlottsville. Good luck to her.

Len Ashburn 02-28-2002 05:00 AM

The Outer Banks and Dare County is one of my favorite places. It is very remote because it sits way out there from the coastline between Albemarle Sound and the Atlantic Ocean.

It is very historic, being the site of the first English settlement in America in 1575 by Sir Walter Raleigh. The settlement did not survive but Virginia Dare became the first English child borne in North America.

It was the site of the first sustained flight by a powered aircraft by the Wright Brothers in 1903 after a long series of glider experiments. That wonderful moment will be recreated in December 2003 by a replica Wright Flyer now being flight tested elsewhere for an exhibition flight at the celebration.

Long before driving on the beach became famous at Daytona the people of Dare County used the beach as a roadway to get from one place to another. Even the school busses used the beach.

Dare County is most susceptible to hurricanes and nor'easter storms which constantly erode the beach, such that a map of the area 100 years ago is much different from one today. The lighthouse at Cape Hateras was recently moved some 1,200 feet inland because they feared the ocean would soon erode its foundations. The move story in itself is fascinating.

I think she should visit Dare County and see for herself. She may get bit by the Outer Banks and never want to leave.

Miller 02-28-2002 10:01 AM

Thanks guys I passed along your responses to her.

kr1276 02-28-2002 01:12 PM

I have a lot of family out there. My sister works for Dare County and lives behind the Wright Brother Memorial in Colington. It is a dot on the map and very dead and can be cold in the winter. Great place to visit but my have no plans to live up there again. If she would like to talk to someone that lives there, then e-mail me and I will provide the info.