Notices

Liability

Old 04-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Liability

What types of things are people doing to take the liability of these types of boats off owners... is there ways to protect yourself and your assets... prevention is the best insuracne, safety and awareness, but accidents do happen. Ive heard about LLC's or having the boat in company name etc...... just god forbid your out with your friends and an unforscene wave or scenerio comes about and some gets badly hurt or even killed, you never know what the injured, or the family of the killed might do, no matter how good of friend; or who or what, (nature) was at fault

Last edited by Boomer35; 04-24-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer35
What types of things are people doing to take the liability of these types of boats off owners... is there ways to protect yourself and your assets... prevention is the best insuracne, safety and awareness, but accidents do happen. Ive heard about LLC's or having the boat in company name etc...... just god forbid your out with your friends and an unforscene wave or scenerio comes about and some gets badly hurt or even killed, you never know what the injured, or the family of the killed might do, no matter how good of friend; or who or what, (nature) was at fault
Good question. I carry 2M in liability. We take a risk every day we get up and walk out the door. You have to live your life. Just act responsibly, do not take any unnecessary risks ( did I just say that ? LOL ) and enjoy your boat. That is what I do. I do not think that an LLC formed with the sole purpose of limiting ones liability would stand up to a good lawyers scrutiny. I have thousands of hours of offshore boating and no accidents. Enjoy.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I think it is called "Piercing the Corporte Veil" when the judicial system will not allow a person to stand behind the protection of a corporate entity solely set up to limit liability exposure.

I think the best thing to do is boat smart, max out your boat liability and carry an umbrella policy.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I think it is called "Piercing the Corporte Veil" when the judicial system will not allow a person to stand behind the protection of a corporate entity solely set up to limit liability exposure.

I think the best thing to do is boat smart, max out your boat liability and carry an umbrella policy.
Exactly, unless the LLC is legitimately set up as a marine business it won't protect your private assets when you're using your boat for personal use.

I would carry a hefty insurance policy and do your best to not be negligent.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
Exactly, unless the LLC is legitimately set up as a marine business it won't protect your private assets when you're using your boat for personal use.
I have a terrible memory - I can't believe I pulled that one out of my ass....
Old 04-25-2010, 07:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

i have an umbrella policy as well, i had a wake up call with old my mechanic a couple years ago. now I closely watch if one of my guests is drinking too much. on return trips across the bay i have made them put on jackets and stay seated and i try to boat safe
Old 04-25-2010, 08:43 AM
wot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I think it is called "Piercing the Corporate Veil" when the judicial system will not allow a person to stand behind the protection of a corporate entity solely set up to limit liability exposure.
I think it depends on who is suing, I believe the concept is
to put the boat under a corporation and transfer limited
shares to anyone who will be running the rig w/you.
From what I understand this falls into "you can't sue yourself".
Most likely this is for limited scopes use, plus as stated, carry
all the insurance you possible can and have a safe summer.
Also a release of liability may help too, you should check
w/your attorney.

Last edited by wot; 04-25-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umbrella policy, if your insurer will cover you depending on the boat you own. Just make sure it kicks in where your boat liability ends.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:00 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Just act responsibly, do not take any unnecessary risks
Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
i try to boat safe
Two good points here, this goes for life in general too. Putting thought before your actions generally negates need to utilize your insurance policies.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The standard liability coverage in my area with boat ownership is 2,000,000.00.

Because of incidents that have happened to me and because I participate in poker runs and other group efforts I was advised to increase my PERSONAL liability coverage, not the coverage specifically on any boat.

I have for a while carried 10,000,000.00 worth of personal liability coverage. Its cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.