If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Charter Member #1171 Charter Member obnoxus's Avatar
    My Boats:
    New Lenox , Il
    First weekend out with there new boat !!! Really ought to know where you are before boating at night !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Boats:
    2003 Spectre 36' Poker Run
    Nashville, TN
    Originally posted by insptech
    jbrauer-what is your e-mail-I'll send you the full size.
    INSPTECH - Thanks

[email protected]

Wow some wild pictures.

We were in a boat crash about seven years ago. Another boat ran directly over my 20 footer while I was towing a disabled boat at about 10:00PM. Naturally the guy that hit us was drunk and not even from the area. Even with five in my boat and five in the one I was towing only minor injuries. He totally split my deck in half and half way throught the hull. The boat was still floating and the morot continued to run till I shut it off in case of fire.

A true night to forget!!!

CBPBA's Walmart Greeter VIP Member Keith's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1990 34' Wellcraft Scarab
    Pasadena, MD

Jbrauer, you'll enjoy some of the stats then. I've made a choice not to drink while boating, but I don't knock those who do. It's a personal decision as with anything else. Ted, I remember that incident now, and yes, that explains why we're not welcomed in a lot of places. It just takes a few morons like that to stereotype the whole lot.

USCG incident data show that in fatalities involving alcohol use, over half of the victims capsized their boat and/or fell overboard. Additionally, more than one-third of all fatalities resulting from a collision involved alcohol use.

Approximately 70% of reported incidents involve operator controllable factors. The primary causes of incidents are operator inattention, carelessness/recklessness, inexperience, unsafe speeds, and failure of the operator or passenger-"lookout" to identify hazards.

There is an entire report on the USCGBoating site, some of the stuff is quite sobering No pun intended. I'm reminded of a 2AM USCG stop outside of Baltimore when they asked me if I'd been drinking. I truthfully answered "not a drop, but my guests are hammered". I was on my way in 5 minutes. All 6 of us were wearing matching ski vests. Must have been quite a sight.

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."

Platinum Member Platinum Member CigDaze's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Wow, those are some crazy pics!!! Hate to see that happen!

I found that pic a couple years ago on a website about big nasty weather; I have no idea what site it was (I'm suffering from the early stages of CRS syndrome - Can't Remember **** )

Based on the amount of water coming off the windshield, I'm going to guess it was even more exciting about 10-15 seconds before this picture was taken.

Diamond Member #001 Charter Member C_Spray's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2000 Formula 382 with Innovation 600's
    Coastal North Carolina
    I've got a picture of that Fountain Sport Cruiser on the trailer afterwards as well as some other interesting stuff. Click on my web page below and go to "Boating - Scary and Funny".
    Retired! Boating full-time now.

My Boats:
    1986 Four Winns Liberator 241
    Lake St. Clair, Canada

And it doesn't get any better on the other side of the "pond"...

Cruising for a bruising ... boat
    is left high and dry
    Pictures: TONY RIVE

THESE are the amazing scenes that greeted rescue teams who answered a mayday call from an old sea dog.

The 100,000 luxury motor cruiser got stuck when Alan Waller, 79, smashed into submerged rocks.

As the tide raced out, his pride and joy was left 20 FEET above the waves.

Disaster struck as Alan was cruising off Guernsey at 14 knots - about 17mph - on his last trip aboard the 36ft Power Game II, which he planned to sell.

Incredibly, the boat's keel jammed in a crevice on the notorious Platte Fougere reef.

A local salvage team spent more than 12 hours easing the cruiser out of the crack and towing it four miles to safety.

Alan and a friend suffered cuts and bruises in the impact.

The skipper, who had been making his 15th trip to the Channel island, said yesterday: "It was like hitting a wall in a car."

Salvage expert Richard Keen, who was one of the first to answer the rescue call around lunchtime last week, said: "Basically he simply drove the boat into a crack in the reef which wedged the keel in the rock.

"It was well jammed in when I arrived on the scene. The problem was that when high water came, she was still a foot too high."

"With a monumental effort we managed to roll the boat over and pull her off.

"Then we had a long tow against the tide with three pumps going flat out and only just keeping up with the incoming water."

The salvage team took the boat to St Peter's Port harbour on Guernsey where it was lifted by crane on to the quay.

The bottom of the cruiser was seriously damaged and it now needs a new hull.

Launched in 1992, the beautiful Power Game II was the last Moonraker vessel ever built and was in immaculate condition.

Alan, of Newbury, Berks, said: "After 30 years experience on the water it was just a freak. It was an error on my behalf.

"It was luck the keel hit the rock first or it would have ripped a hole in the hull.

"There was a thousand-to-one chance the boat would land like that."

Deputy harbour master Captain Tony Pattimore said: "The owner realises he made a mistake and he had a lucky escape."

(Grrrrr - can't link pics, so I'll attach them )

From the port side...

This is what happens when you're too busy watching the scenery instead of the depthsounder and the charts

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast